Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please recommend a compressor / limiter with enhance /drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 1, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I was strongly thinking of getting a Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter/enhancer. however the reviews on harmony central say that the enhancer adds alot of hiss.

Can you recommend a pedal that compresses or limits the bass ( not too sure what the difference is) but also has a drive/enhance feature?

one similar to the boss unit without the hiss would be good, but then i dont know if i require it to be a limiter or compressor.

My rig is a clarus 300 with a wizzy 1-12 and a geddy jazz with flats.

:)

2. So I guess you're looking to get rid of you bvamp?

Just looking at your other posts (and correct me if I'm wrong anybody), you are looking for a classic rock sound but you are playing out of a fairly "hifi" rig. So perhaps you need some compression and OD/distortion. ??? I don't know.

Back to your question. I've tried the BOSS LMB-3 and personally I like it. I find that you can either really "Limit" your signal or you can just add a touch of limiting so that your dynamics aren't so huge. With the ENHANCE control set at 7 - 8 o'clock I didn't find it to hissy or noisy and it was about the same brightness when the pedal was on or off. If you need more brightness then you can turn it up which might add hiss at high settings BUT if you need more brightness you could turn up the treble on your amp. I believe the ENHANCE control was designed to add treble to a muddy amp or bass. My advice is to try it and if your sound without the pedal is bright enough, I don't think the pedal will add much more noise.

What makes you think that you need a compressor or limiter? Or is it that you are just looking for a classic rock sound?

What is your budget?

You might find that the BOSS ME-50B will give you more sound options than a single pedal and be easier to work than your bvamp.

To get a classic rock sound with the ME-50B I would use the NAURAL compression with a little BASS DRIVER to add some overdrive.

Hope that helps.

3. What are you looking to do? I've found that using a compressor takes out all the attack. Sounds great at practice on your own - but I just get lost in the mix in the band. I like the thump of the start of the note - you just don't get that with a compressor - it goes all woolly.

However all the Boss stuff is Pro quality and I shouldn't pay too much attention to what others are saying about hiss - that comes about through not understanding how a compressor works. You'll be just fine if you read some instructions.

But think hard about using effects - they're great in the practice room and difficult to use live. A bit of Chorus might be useful on one in every 5 numbers. But that detunes you anyway -so why bother?

4. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    I don't know much about compression, but I use a FMR RNC. I use it primarily for recording purposes but i find myself using with my bass live weekly.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I tell ya, for live playing I love the compressor built into the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ DI/preamp. It's designed specifically for bass, and absolutely does not kill the attack. I'm all about the attack. I use one every day at work and it's the first compressor I've used (live) for bass that I actually like. Add to that a nice 5 band EQ and an active DI, and you got one helluva deal for $169, IMO. :bassist:

6. That really all depends on the compressor and settings. I use a multiband compressor and my signal is still punchy as hell.

7. I've only used guitar and built-in amp basesd compressors so far and have been unimpressed. But if you guys can point me to one that works - Torin and I are ready to be convinced.

Is it an EQ thing? Is it a compressor setting issue? Perhaps I've just found it cut volume and should have put more volume on to the overall output. If you guys are both using this live then there's something you're doing that I want to learn about.

8. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Bearing in mind, I'm talking about LIVE application here, not neccessarily the same as what you want in a studio setting.

Anway, this is from the manual for the Platinum EQ DI:

"Compression is a useful tool for bass, especially for recording. But if you've ever used it onstage you probably know that a poorly designed or improperly set up compressor can completely screw up your live bass sound. For you players who have given up on compression for bass, we feel your pain. We spent months developing and refining a one knob photo-optic compressor just for bass...you can dial up more punch, attack, and sustain without any of the "pumping" or "squashing" that plagues other so called "bass" compressors. Recognizing the common shortcomings of "bass" compressors, we designed our soft-knee photo-optic compressor to set up quickly and sound good right out of the gate. For slap and other aggressive playing styles, the Platinum Bass' compressor does not strangle your highs...we carefully fine tuned the compressor to complement the attack and sustain characteristics of bass instruments."

I would agree with that. It's butt-stupid easy to use as well. Again, I'm not saying this is the best compressor out there, no. There's tons of great stuff; but for a live, easy-to-use scenario (especially at this price) to me, you can't beat it. The EQ is also very bass-friendly.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    To start with the compressor on the bvamp sucks. However, in all fairness i might not be using it correctly. I find that it doesnt limit the notes that are too strong enough. Plus, as the Fishman manual posted above says, it gets all squashed and changes the tone, which of course i dont want. All i want to achieve is a pure clean sound with additional low-end and just enough treble to stop it from sounding too muddy. As was mentioned earlier my rig really is on the treblly side with the maple neck etc. The clarus simply amplifies with no colouration. It does a good job, especially for its size but i would like a *little* character. Just a little.

I just finished fooling with the bvamp presets and i found about 3 or 4 that are decent enough. They make the clarus sound better by giving a deeper undertone to the sound.

I need a compressor or maybe limiter because some notes are much louder than others and I want to even out the sound. Perhaps a limiter would suit my needs better as it doesnt change the tone but just sets a limit on how loud the vol. will be on a given note. Correct?

That fishman dealy sounds like maybe what i am after. I really am not sure though. I just want to add some balls to my sound w/o getting loud peaks on certain notes.

I really just want one pedal as i am basically not into effects for bass. The boss LMB-3 plus the bvamp would probably work, but if possible i would like to find a pedal that does both functions of adding depth undertone and limits the peaks.

maybe the fishman mentioned above.

any other suggestions?

10. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, yeah if you want no coloration, then I would invest in a good limiter...lots of good stuff out there depending on your budget. The Fishman WILL color your sound; in a way that I think is very musical and pleasing. Fairly high input impedance (10MegOhms, I think), so it can be used with peizos as well. Warms up the sound, to me anyway. There's a lot of retailers (Musican's Friend, Sam Day Music, etc) that have generous return policies, so you'd really only be out the shipping costs.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, thats exactly what i want. a warmer sound with a depth undertones.

I live in canada so those retailers wont ship electronic type stuff to us canucks. i could rent one locally though.