1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please recommend a different magnetic pickup for my Turner Fretless bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, May 25, 2012.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    So, I have a pattern of modding basses. It would seem that my plans with these component parts would work but my failure rate is high :( :bag:

This particular bass has been through two different preamp attempts. The money wasted is not unsubstantial. Hopefully, this last attempt will cure me. :help:

I have a 5 string Turner fretless standard that is killer. I have owned 4 other Turners. So I wanted the Turner feel but with a mag pickup. The other mag Turner basses don't do it for me.

Anyway, this Delano quad pickup is really thin sounding. I am probably going to be trying another pickup. Any routing issues will be taken care of with ramps etc.

It will need to be a passive set up as shielding of the electronics in this bass is to hard. I also know I could move the pickup up toward the neck but I am wanting less of a P bass sound.

Any recommendations of a pickup [ MM or soapbar is fine ] that will be fatter/warmer/deeper than what I am getting out of this Delano?

Thanks !!

014.gif

2. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    To get a "fatter/warmer/deeper" tone you need a pickup with:

1. more windings
    2. wider pickup coil
    3. weaker magnet with larger top surface

It would also help to mount the pickup closer to the neck.

Not really sure what's gonna fit there. There doesn't seem to be much depth.

Perhaps try to contact Lindy Fralin or maybe SGD to get something custom wound.

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for that information !!
    There is actually enough depth which is good.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    My bridge pickups are wound to not sound thin, but not muddy either. I accomplish this by voicing each coil separately in the humbucker. So one does the highs and lows and the other has more mids. Gives a nice solid tone.

5. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    That's brilliant! Good to see innovation happening.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It was born out of necessity. I was mostly using the bridge pickup on the bass at the time, and kept trying different variations. Then I had two pickups I liked for different reasons, so I combined them together into one.