Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please recommend a good amp for a small-mid sized club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    I've got a SWR Workingmans 12 which, as you probably know, has no headroom with 100W. Please recommend a good amp with nice tone that will fill a mid-sized club. I'm playing a Fender Duck Dunn P bass and would like to keep the price under $600.

Thanks all!

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    do you want a combo or a head/cab?

if you want good sized combo, i would reccomend a bassman400 or 200, theyre great amps.

If going used is not a problem for you, i would suggest doing that, you might be able to get more for your money.

3. First of all, for a mid-sized club I'd recommend at least a 4x10 with around 350 watts of power. 2x10's might cut it but I think you'd be happier with 4x10's. Avatar makes a great 4x10 at $381 shipped and brand new. As for the amp? I'd look for a used Hartke HA3500.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Try adding an extension cabinet to your WM12 first.

Borrow or rent one to try on a gig.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definately try the extension cab. I think that this will work just fine. I completely disagree with needing a 410. I use two 112's or one 210 for a club gig and it is always more than enough. If you do go for the amp/cab deal than do check out a Hartke 3500 head.

6. In your opinion, when would a 4x10 cab be appropriate?

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Extension cab is definitely the least expensive alternative. It should work just fine.

If you just want to haul a single combo, then look into Hughes and Kettner, there are some good deals on them. They sound good and are fairly loud.

Another good choice is an SWR Basic Black if you can find one. They aren't made any more but work really well.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for the Bassman 200.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First, this person is looking for a rig under $600 and his best bet probably doesn't include a 410.
    Second, speakers and amplifiers are built to a much higher quality than the days of the 410. You can now use smaller speakers and amps and get a very powerful sound.
    The biggest difference would be the amount of air being pushed. For medium sized clubs you don't need to push a whole lot of air. Again, a 210 or a good 115 would do the job.

I would suggest for the style this person wants to play maybe a Hartke 3500 and a couple of Aguilar 112's. This is a great inexpensive rig with deep Duck Dunn possiblities.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I wouldn't go the extension cab route. IMHO you will be asking this same type of question in 6 months or less if you do.

How about a used 210 and nice used hybrid head? When you want to you can add another 210 and you'll have the 210 or 410 flexibility, plus an easier time moving your cab(s).

11. SnaveDogg

SnaveDogg

Mar 21, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Is there a PA system there? Does it have adequate power/inputs/speakers to run your signal through? If so, no new amp should be necessary IMHO.
    Otherwise the go shopping.

12. I've heard some good things about the Hartke VX3500...The VX3500 combo combines a Hartke 3500 bass amplifier with a Hartke speaker cabinet. The VX3500 combo has four 10" Hartke VX speakers and a high frequency driver. With this combo, you hopefully will be heard.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm sure that is way out of his $600 price range.

14. Not really. The price for this combo amp on http://www.samash.com is only 699.....only 100 over his price range.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mark, I was thinking to also recommend the GK combo amps. These things sound huge and their loud. I was really impressed by them. If you can find their 210 combo with the higher wattage for your price than I'd say that's the one for you. You can alwas add a second 210 later.