1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

please recommend a portable music stand

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Oct 18, 2010.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I need something to hold lightweight scores (a manilla folder full of 30pages of paper)

I want it to be portable but not flimsy and wobbly. I will use it for upright bass practice with my jazz band

My budget is <$40

Thanks

2. [​IMG]

Something like this should run just about $40. You want the one that has the widest legs if playing out side - so the wind will not blow it over. Mine has holes in the music stand part that cuts down some of the weight. It does fold and is IMO the next choice after those flimsy ones you spoke of.

Good luck.

3. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    If possible, I'd like the desk (is that the name?) to fold up so I can put it in my gigbag (which is a backpack).

Which model is the one you are referring to?

Thanks for the help

4. Model number, no idea, stands like this are generic and at every music store. The music rack "thing" does fold down, however, it is what it is and probably will not fit into a gig bag.

5. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Those folding music stands have a small "ledge" on them to hold papers. If you are going to put a lot of stuff up there at one time you will find yourself pissed off often. They seem to run about an inch and change deep while the stand in the pic has a deeper ledge, is beefier and better to work with...but not as portable.

6. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
  7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Can't speak to the sturdiness of the 'Peak' brand (nice looking feet), but for a few dollars more-there's the sturdy Manhasset like the one sitting near my sofa & laptop...

8. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    That is the picture of sturdiness to be sure

but also of non-portability ;)

9. Well, I dunno. I've seen it in use, so it's pretty much exactly as portable as I think it is.;) Which is pretty portable, I would say.

How portable do you need a stand to be? I can say that I've never seen anything as portable as that stand that also had the same capacity and (relative) sturdiness. It's difficult for me to imagine that anyone would find the Peak very troublesome to carry around, certainly not in comparison with something like a Manhasset.

If you do find something more portable, though, I for one would be very interested in knowing about it. I'm not messing you around, I mean it.

10. sonicnuance

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    That's fair. My assessment was based on this video
    http://www.peakmusicstands.com/category.cfm?category=15

But honestly, you have me reevaluating my opinion.

I'm trying to find something I can stow in my backpack (my 600W amp fits in there for goodness sake :) )

11. the cheap metal ones are portable,and will stand firmly with a small gym bag full of your extra cords,etc draped over one of the legs.....some cardboard folded into an L shape taped or tied onto the top will hold your music,and you can make it wider and the shelf as deep as you need.....no sense dragging a big manhasset around and crying if it gets stolen.....i've found the other kind for as little as a buck.....

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I have a Peak conductor's foldable stand (wide enough for three sheets of paper side by side). I've used a lot of portable stands, and the foldable desk ones actually become a lot more of a pain (especially when they won't stay perfectly flat) than you'd think. The wide feet on the Peak are very sturdy. I keep my Peterson StroboFlip clipped on the tube of the stand, and even with that, the stand doesn't wobble at all.

The Peak comes with its own bag, which means carrying something extra. However, the case does allow you to carry all your music with the stand, so it frees up space and allows you to keep things organized.