please recommend bass with skinny neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rankinchallenge, Mar 12, 2003.

1. rankinchallenge

Mar 11, 2003
    could you please recommend to me a good bass with a really skinny neck(thats not a Jazz).

Im thinking of an Ibanez srx700, could You please give me your opinions on it. Thanks
  2. I've yet to find a bass with a skinnier neck than what can be found on Ibanez SoundGears, so if you like the sound of the srx700, go for it!
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hofner Beattle Bass or any of the copies of it have very skinny necks.
  4. Why exactly are you excluding jazz basses? I was going to say the Fender Gedy lee jazz because its neck is shaved down to be extra skinny.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Peavey basses have skinny necks for the most part. My Palaedium has one of the skinniest necks I've ever seen on a bass.

But I've decided I like "chunky" necks better. The neck on my Jazz V is a friggin' baseball bat but it feels so nice! :)
  6. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Ernie Ball Sterling. Nice skinny neck,smaller body than a Stingray, and it sounds amazing. IMO they completely kill Stingrays.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am with seapickle. Why are you excluding Jazz basses? There are some real nice Jazz basses out there.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Some of these are no longer made, but they can be found:
    Fender Performer - probably the skinniest neck I ever played
    Hamer Cruise 2Tek - pretty much a Jazz with the 2Tek bridge. Very easy neck to play
    Fender w/'A' neck - the A neck is really thin. I'm using a '70 Precision at practice, and it's great.
    Curbow - nice thin basses and necks.
  9. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you're talking thin as in front to back, my Status has the thinnest neck i've played.
  10. Zon and Status, definitely. Older Moduli are insanely thin as well.

I'm a thick neck man.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Carvins have skinny necks. The new Tim Schmidt signature model is even skinnier than a Jazz.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Carvin makes a great "speed neck"........(no, I don't own a Carvin any longer but their fast necks were great).

If you want the ultimate, find a Hagstrom bass. Those necks are faster than a vintage Fender Strat.

Otherwise, see if a luthier will make you a custom bolt-on.........or consider playing guitar????
  13. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Another vote for thin necks.
  14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Ibanez Soundgears have a flatter fingerboard and real thin neck (fretboard to back of neck). They play real good, but feel cheap (compared to my Warwick). Fender Jazzes have a more curved fretboard, and is a skinnier neck in terms of length of the nut. Carvins have pretty thin necks. You could also use a short scale bass if you want a smaller neck.
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I was at the Bass Palace recently and remember a few that seemed very thin-necked:

F Bass BN4
    R Bass Custom 4
    Stambaugh Custom 4

I play a thumb b/o 5 and a Pedulla pentabuzz. Most any 4 string seems narrow to me.
  16. rankinchallenge

Mar 11, 2003
    I have nothing against jazzes, i would love one, but i should have mentioned price is an issue-a geddy lee signature sounds pretty expensive.

I have a 63' Fender P, so i guess that would be considered to have a pretty thick neck, and i can play it no hassle, i just want something with a really skinny neck.

An Ibanez srx700 would cost me 700 euros and thats about as high as i would be willing to go.

So srx700 good or bad(yay or nay?)
  17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That makes perfect sense then. The Geddy Lee sig is not as expensive as other sig basses. However, given your location and the cost of importing I think your choices make sense. Now which one spoke to you the best after you played it?