Please Recommend: Head+Cabinet for small clubs, $1500 or less total

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rsilverst, Oct 9, 2005.

1. rsilverst

Oct 9, 2005

I'm new to the forum, and I'm actually posting for the bass player in my band (I'm the guitar player). Right now, he's been playing a SWR Basic Black combo, and it's been fine enough for rehearsal but we're about to start gigging, and he knows it needs to be replaced.

The budget is $1500 but that doesn't mean that he's set on spending that much if a good rig can be had for a little less.

The music is moderate-to-hard rock. Not funk. Not metal. Not country. He uses several different basses, but his main ones are a Fender Mustang, and a Jazz Bass.

For portability reasons, not considering anything larger than a 4x10" cabinet.

So far, he's tried out the SVT 3-PRO, SVT 6-PRO, an Eden Traveler series, and an Aguilar single channel (think it was model number 500). For cabs, he's tried Ampeg 6x10, Eden 4x10, and Aguilar 4x10.

I welcome any suggestions you can provide. I know diddly about bass gear, and he seems to know only a little. We were both a bit daunted by the sales person in the store because they asserted that "unlike guitar amps, you really can't judge a bass amp by playing it in the store without the whole band". They felt he should just give them $1500 and take something to rehearsal and then exchange it if we didn't like it. But that sounds like a load of junk. Or is it?

Apologies if this type of general question has been asked before. I checked back through recent postings and didn't find a comprehensive answer to my question.

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    musicians friend has a combo special for a 2x12 gk cab and a gk RB head for about $1300.

Great deal for the $$ imho.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sounds like he'd be well off with a Traynor YBA200 & a Schroeder 1212. this should be close to $1500, and you will be able to add another cab later if you want.
  4. rsilverst

Oct 9, 2005
    We are a 4 piece. 2 guitar. bass. drums. no downtuning. very much in need of a bottom end from the bass since one guitar is an edgy telecaster, and other (me) is usually single-coil too, and both of us use 1x12 cabinets.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Schroeders have great lows & low mids.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1 on the Traynor. The Edens would also be awesome, as would the Aggie, but for Ampeg I'd recommend the 2-Pro or the Cl (which are too expensive). I wouldn't get any other Ampeg head. In addition to the Schroeder, if you got the Traynor with a Aggie 412 you would be less than $100 over budget with a completely awesome rig. Or maybe an Eden 410 or 610. That said, looking used is a good idea as well, especially for a old tube amp.
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He said nothing bigger than a 4x10. Size appears to be an issue, here.
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Scratch that 412 then... The Aggie 212 would be awesome too though.
  9. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    To get the most out of your 1500$ buying "pre-owned" is the only way to go....

I buy everything from TB'ers or ebay , even harmony central.....

I picked up a SWR henry 8x8 for 300.00 from Harmony central while at the same time I saw one used at BASSNW for 600.00.....I got it for a friend and he loves it...actually while I am thinking about it, the henry 8x8 is a great standalone cab, with great low end ....

If it were me, I'd look for a mesa 400+ used, they go for around 800$...and pick up , say, an aggie 2x12 or some other good full range cab(depending on availabilty)....

nothing against the retailers, but I'd want to get the highest quality rig available for the money, and that means used gear....
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Schroeder 1212 and a Mesa 400+ (used).

The Mesa is plentiful on the used market and usually sells in the 7 to 800 range. Add to that the cost of a 1212, and you're right at 1500 or below.

For 1500 bucks you have a killer solid tube amp and tube sound and the power to play small or big shows, and a cab that can take up to 1k watts that's under 50 pounds and HALF the size of a 4x10.

I only say this from experience. That's what I play.
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Could you expand on how he felt about these different setups? We might be able to be more helpful in that case.

You've got some good choices in there. FWIW, I played through an Eden 410xlt for years in alternative "hard" rock bands and thought it was great. I later replaced it with an Aguilar 4x10 (S410), which my band and I liked more but it was a different sound - "warmer" and big-sounding to me, but less "agressive".

I'd echo the buy used sentiment, as money goes a lot farther. If he liked Aguilar, I'm selling my 410 for $400 used (I got a more expensive modular rig), but if he preferred the others, those pop up regularly too. The other brands mentioned in this thread are probably worth checking out as well.

12. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland

Is the Yorkville YBA-200 at 200 tube watts strong enough to push the Aggie 4x12 rated at 1200 watts. I have the 4x12, just courious.
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It can definately push the 412. Of course, it wouldnt be as loud as with say the Aggie 728, but the 200 with the 412 would make a very loud combination.
  14. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    So, I'm cheap..
    Ashdown MAG300 ($300) and a Dr Bass Rx 212 cab ($300) (hell, make it two, 4 12's) gets you loud and sounding good for under a grand. I've used and abused mine and they're both great.

15. rsilverst

Oct 9, 2005
    Thanks for the post - I've followed up in a new thread because I/we had some more specific questions about specific models now. But I answer your question in that thread.