1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Please) Recommend me some stiff flatwounds for my detuned bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by OzzyGreg, Apr 26, 2015.

1. .
    Hey guys,

Just looking for some suggestions for flatwound strings for a detuned (to E flat, or possibly D) US Precision.

I'd kind of like to stay under .115 or so E string gauge if possible.
    Not really interested in suspension bridge cable gauges (or strong enough in the left hand!).

I've been thinking about a few, but need experienced input please.
    There seems to be a few sets designed specifically for detuning, but they are all roundwounds from what I can see.
    eg. DR DDT, Dunlop Heavy Core, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Depends on the sound you want, read up a bit on a flat-wound thread of your choice about the popular brands LaBella, TI, GHS, Fender, D'addario, Sadowsky, Ernie Ball, Pyramid, and so on. People will most likely only give advice that suits their own way of playing and sound ideals anyway.

What type of music do you play, what kind of tone do you have in your head, on what bass are you going to put them on, are you going to have them tuned the same all the time or switch a lot between tunins, what techniques aka thumb, fingers, pick and so on do you use the most, through what kind of sound equipment?

The more info you post the easier it gets to recommend anything that would maybe suit you.

I'd say Sadowsky or Fender flats for an all-round, do it all kind of flat.

3. .
    Thanks Levin. I do appreciate the response.
    I've read up quite a bit on strings but find few recommendations/suggestions for detuned bass applications apart from roundwounds.

I'm not bringing any of the stuff you mention into the equation at the moment.
    It's pretty simple really, I just want to know what flatwounds people prefer for a de-tuned bass.
    It has little to do with sound/tone for me at the moment, just the tension of them and how much string/fret rattle occurs.

For the record: I have D'Addario Chromes, Fender 9050s, TI flats, Rotosound SM77s here at the moment. None of them really impress me on the de-tuned bass (US Precision, not that it matters). They all get pretty rattly, to varying degrees, despite me slackening the truss rod to suit.

I just want to know what do other guys use and find suitable for their own de-tuned basses. In essence ...... the stiffest flatwounds alive that are under 0.115".

For example (I know from experience) that TI flats would definitely not suit detuning.
    My current Fender 9050ML flats (the ones on the bass at the moment) are not as suited to detuning as I hoped they might be. Maybe some one has tried and liked 9050Ms on a detuned bass?

Once again, thank you for the response.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  4. I use La Bella Deep Talkin Flats on a blacktop model Fender P -- I keep it tuned half step flat, and I am very happy with the feel and tone I get from the strings. I have no string tenson issues with these, although I did when I was using chromes . . .

OzzyGreg likes this.
  5. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Yeah! LaBellas are great downtuned IME too, the Jamerson set is very stiff, have a chat with Jason at BSO?

OzzyGreg and comatosedragon like this.
  6. AmpegB15

AmpegB15

Sep 25, 2010
    +1 on the LaBella Jamerson set. I installed a set on a Fender Tony Franklin Fretless Bass down tuned to D. They are stiff, but work well for down tuning.

Randyt, Highroler79 and OzzyGreg like this.
  7. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Ive had good luck with the 105 Fenders and was ok with the tension.

Are you use to heavy/tense strings to start with?

OzzyGreg likes this.
  8. .

Thanks guys.

I sent an email to Jason yesterday (Sunday) . I expect he'll respond today.

Those La Bellas are sounding good.

The Fenders on my bass at the moment are .100 MLs.

mrb327 likes this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Roto's can definitely handle being detuned. I am thoroughly enjoying them on my Ric.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  10. .
    Still no response from Jason. He might be away somewhere.

Who knows? Maybe it's a fret level issue?
    The bass is only four years old, but I might have it "pleked" yet.
    I've never had a bass done and have been curious about it for quite a while now.

11. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Ask Roger Sadowsky what he thinks about PLEK- no, sorry, it's a great thing for many. However most people seem to agree on, for a reason, that a great set-up by a professional is way better then PLEK.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  12. Mmmm, ok Levin.
    I'll look into it some more and gather some opinions.
    Thanks. :)

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey OzzyGreg, for a P especially, I'd recommend the 9050M set. It has the fatter G and D strings that work better on that bass IMO. They are quite stiff at regular tuning but will feel more like your 9050ML's at Eb and D.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    pyramid gold flats .45-105, labella 760 fm .49-.109.

i've had both on my bass and tune to Eb. about the same tension just the labella are thicker gauge.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    OzzyGreg likes this.
  16. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I've been playing in D standard for quite awhile now, and I think I must agree that the Rotosound flats may be the stiffest, highest tension flats around. But I think just about any set of flats will work fine for D standard.

I have a set of the Rotosounds on an old Roadstar, GHS (.105 to .055) on a Musician, LaBella "Original 1954" on a Roadster, Pyramids on an AGB200. And I've also used Sadowsky flats, Detroit Bass flats, Chromes, Black Diamond flats... they all work. It's just a matter of finding what sounds best to you on a given bass. Personally I really like the GHS Precision flats, but I'm liking the LaBella '54s, too.

-Alex

OzzyGreg likes this.
  17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just got some dr flats and they are super high tension. Like labella 760fm tension. Try those.

OzzyGreg likes this.
  18. .
    Thanks for all the input guys! :thumbsup:

Linnin likes this.
  19. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Rotosound Steve harris flats (50-110) or Labella Original (52-110).

20. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013