Please recommend me strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sundance, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I'm looking for good, loose (but not too loose) strings for a 5 string fretless bass with an average length-ed neck, nothing long or anyhing. I've only really used Elixirs and DR's before in my life (that I had the ears to remember), Dr's were rounds. I'm using the Dr's now for the first time, have been for about two weeks and I'm getting sick of them. I play fast music, jazz and rock, but not really metal. I don't want something that will "pop" very easily like the DR's do when I put a little pressure on them. I don't want something really tight, though; something that's a good medium, MAYBE favoring tight a bit more. If it can be done, I'd like a set of strings with a good "G" string that fits relatively well in with the timbre of the rest of the strings, but has it's own subtle character too. Less so than the mechanical sound that's coming out of mine now. I'd like something not necessarily with the stereotypical "fretless" tone, but something moderately close to it, with some other characteristic that sounds interesting. Something that can sustain low tones with a pretty straight phase, but with that little fretless "bwah-" too when I want it. It should be something I can go fast on too, consistently, because I tend to be fast more than slow. If this isn't just what every bassist dreams of, or it is and there's actually a string set like that, please name it. Thanks.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    D'Addario Chromes. Sounds like what you're looking for...I think Figjam used these on his fretless.