Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please review/ critique my bands mp3's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Here are a couple mp3's of my bands originals. We are a hard rock band, but still melodic. "Take me" IMO is the better of the 2 tracks, but they are both good. I'd reccomend using either the hi-fi link (broadband), or those on dial-up like me, use the download option, as to not kill the record quality. Am I as famous as stupid matt now????? woohoo!

No wanking here, just filling the holes and knowing my role in the band.

www.mp3.com/anothernature

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Take me : Pretty nifty, i thought my pc was dying on the scratchy intro ;)
    My mate says 'it sounds like 'CKY'.

Overall, iwouldn't buy it sorry, not really my stuff. Theres a big market for it though, so good luck :)

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Good sound.. not my style but I can appreciate it..

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks guys, it is definitely more for the hard rock/metal crowd. I always thought our music was geared for a younger crowd, but apparently not! :)

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks guys, as for the lines on the songs......I wish I could take credit, but I cannot. The bands original bass player had basslines already written, and I didn't want to risk changing the bands sound too much, so I played the same lines, minus some un-nescessary wanking that was there previously.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm here to give you crap!!! :mad:

:D

actually, i thought they both were pretty cool. got any more?

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    lol...thanks John, we have 17 finished orignal songs, 13 of which made the cd.....which is finished, but waiting on the funds to come up to have disc makers do the batch. No more online, I can add some to mp3.com, but they are slower than molasses on getting stuff up. Trying to get this project behind us, to move on with new writing....we are all too anxious....this cd has been a 3 year project for the band.....good thing the drummer owns the studio, and time there is free!!!!

8. TOOTHY999

TOOTHY999

Sep 8, 2002
    Wow, that was a lot cooler than what I was expecting (of course my expectations dont count because Im a young expierence-less bassist)

It erased my whole winamp playlist and it was actually worth it. :D

9. I thought they were pretty alright man. my first impression of "take me" was 311 ish, not in a bad way though, i just got that from the singing and stuff kinda. its good, keep up the good work.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    might i suggest www.cdman.com instead of disc makers? cdman's prices are great, that's who we're using when we get the masters back. i haven't checked into discmakers in a while but the last time i checked they were pretty pricey. cdman has a cool on-line quote system where you tell them what you want and then they email you a quote. their prices are really great, ime, but like i said i haven't looked at cdman in a while.

i hear ya about the "trying to move on" stuff. we've been waltzing with the same two cds for the past ~5 years :rolleyes:. all the source is done, and the first one is at mastering...for two months now :rolleyes: we still are working on the liner notes, so i guess that's good.

do you have a time line for when the cd might be done?

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks guys! I was a fan of the band before I ever had the opportunity to be a part of it. I had actually given up my bass playing for a few years, I got into dirt stock car racing, and shyed away from it all together.....I didn't even own an instrument anymore. When the original basser departed, I was being bothered by one of the members for a year to come up to the studio and jam with them (audition). I didn'tknow if I wanted to get back into music or not, but I did buy an olp musicman copy, and played around the house with it....I didn't even own an amp. Finally, after a year of haggling, I decided to bring up my OLP on a tuesday, and jam....their current fill in bass player had to work OT, so he didn't make it (thankfully). Much to the guys amazement, I already knew about 80% of their originals note for note.....My buddy George, which I was in a previous band with (rhythm guitar, vocals) had been sending me mp3's all along, and out of the pleasure of playing, and just sheer fun, I used to jam along at home with the tunes...like I said I was a fan. Well, the next week their "filler" bass player made it, and they told him no hard feelings, but he had been replaced. It made me feel bad, but the guy was really cool about it. That was this past spring. We have played some great shows since then, and I am loving music as much as ever, I'll never be without a bass again in my life! Since I joined the band, I have sold my race car, and am 100% into music. Took my proceeds from the race car, and opened my own retail flooring store......life has been good :) Sorry to rant, just wanted to share the story.

Back on topic.

JT, I will check into cd man. The problem with disc makers is, they have a minumum 1000 quantity on most all of their packages. Unfortunately with Greg (drummer, studio owner, producer), he is married to disc makers for some reason, and says he doesn't want to mess with someone else and get less than 100% results trying someone else. I'd rather go with whoever will do a respectable job, and a place we can afford to get them done, and behind us.

So in other words, no idea on when a cd will be "done". I have all of our artwork and such, and have made some nice (nice for home made) copies we are using as (gimmick) pre-release copies to sell to make money towards the final cuts. John, if you want to PM me an address, I will send you a freebie. The bass work on it is nothing spectacular, I am in the process of selling the guys on an original instrumental "wank fest" Dream Theater style, just to show people we can :D Thanks again for the kind words guys!

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's a cool story man, don't know about giving up race cars for flooring ;) but since you got in to music again it's all O.K. Nice playing! Sounds good to me! I like th e intro to YOU, good job!