1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please share your negative experiences with Sire V3 (1st generation)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mili, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Hello TBers
    I'm in a trade situation for Sire V3 (5 string in excellent condition) against Squier Dimension Deluxe V (in Mint condition). I've mostly seen positive reviews but yet I'm not sure about Sire. I have searched TB and found some bad experiences with Truss rod, Tuners and Preamps ( bad or wrong wiring, fast battery depletion rates...). I need to know how much these problems are frequent.
    Ok, I know this is a budget Bass but I've been spending very hard times financially so I can't afford any parts for repairing or modifying. What do you think? Is this a fair trade? Thank you in advance for your priceless advice.

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    These are my 3 basses. The Sire isn’t my first choice, but I still enjoy it and for some situations, it’s the right choice. I’ve had no problems with my SireV3-5. It sounds great active or passive . Just as good as my Sire V7 Vintage that I owned.
    Tuners aren’t the best but they do the job. The neck and the weight are very comfortable. I’d say it’s a fair trade. Some might say you are getting the better end of the deal. I would think so.The Sire preamp is much better than the Squier. Sorry , nothing really negative to report.
    98E8E0D4-14F9-4735-B326-D56ACEC9F91D.jpeg

3. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Thank you for response, also you have awesome basses especially I love that gorgeous diamond blue Caprice...drool

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have a Sire V3 (first gen) and have had no problems with it. I recently decided to keep only one jazz bass in my collection as I'm sort of heading into a P Bass phase. Between a MIM Fender Jazz and a Sire V3, I kept the Sire due to the quality and versatility. I'm confident enough of its durability to make it the only jazz bass I'm keeping. Any bass model and brand, of all price ranges are going to have their lemons but I would say it's a good sign that the majority of owners of the Sire V3 or V7 basses are very happy with their basses. If there was a common problem or design flaw, you can bet a lot of us would be up in arms with our pitchforks. :)
    I'm with a comment above, I think if both basses are in identical condition and fully functional, you might be getting the better part of the deal, just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    lowdownthump and Mili like this.
  5. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    Wow...I'm surprised. Thanks buddy.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    no problem - I would have liked to have kept both but I wanted to buy a used G&L -the one in my user pic. I compared the Fender and Sire side by side, played the Sire on passive mode, and it really sounded comparable enough- played the same songs on both basses. Add that active mode and the preamp EQ and the Sire just has more to offer. I would say the Sire V3 is probably comparable to a Squier CV or a MIM Fender, with a Sire V7 (gen 2) probably exceeding a stock MIM Fender but not quite at the US Fender level. Just my opinion, I love Fender basses too and have a P bass.
    I would probably ask the person why he/she wasn't happy with the V3 though - just to make sure there isn't a problem or issue with it.

lowdownthump and Mili like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks . If it had a 5th string, I’d have no need for my Sire.

Mili likes this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That Caprice's truly sweet, so's the MM..and well, the Sire. Great choices for three basses to have on hand.

Mili and lowdownthump like this.
  9. Nanaki

Nanaki

Dec 13, 2016
    UK
    I don't like the preamp on mine (but I know I seem to be in the minority), otherwise the build quality is great.. there have been issues raised here and on FB that I've seen.

Mili likes this.
  10. They are good/decent basses. I owned two , a four and a five. My issues with both were the weight and the neck. The neck on the five just did not fit me at all. Felt more like a P bass , round and thick rather than wide and flat. Strictly a personal preference. The weight on both were really pretty excessive. Both were well over 10 lbs, possibly even hitting 11 lbs. The preamp, while versatile, had too wide a range, if that makes sense. I prefer an active bass that can give a boost or cut in a narrower musical range. The bass boost on the Sire was so extreme, you could literally damage speakers with it.
    All that said, I still consider them a good bass at what was their price point was when they first came out. They were affordable, above average, entry to mid level basses. I traded/ sold both after I owned them for a short time. They were not my cup of tea.

jd56hawk and Mili like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'm not a big fan but I've read a lot of positive things about them...90% good to 10% bad, I'd say...mostly complaints about the necks, which I don't like at all.
    Though they're no longer what I'd consider an entry-level bass, I still think they're one of the top 5 Jazz basses in the $500 to $600 price range...though I'd go with the 2nd generation if I was looking for one.

Mili likes this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Keep in mind the necks on the V3 are different than the others. Speaking of 1st Gen . They have a thinner and flatter radius and satin finish and they seem to be lighter due to mahogany bodies than the V7 etc.
    Mine is like 9lbs 13oz give take .

Mili likes this.
  13. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    I asked the owner why he doesn't want to keep it and he said it's too heavy for him (almost 5 kg). I'm an amateur and I practice 4-5 hours a day....

14. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You're thinking the V7? The V3 is the new budget model and starts at $369 or something like that. (Corrected, $299 is the M2.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    jd56hawk and lowdownthump like this.
  15. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    If you pratice sitting down it’s probably ok. If you practice standing up, then 5 kg is a lot to carry for 5 hours.

Mili likes this.
  16. Modler

Modler

Jan 16, 2017
    Denmark
    I’ve always thought that mahogany is generally heavier than ash and alder?
    As far is I’ve seen from various reviews and reports, the V3 5-strings typically weights around 5 kg, whereas the V7 5-strings are more like 4,7 kg.

17. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    EARTH
    I practice sitting down but still I use a strap and all the weight is on my shoulder!

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, $399 on their web store...that does seem like a bargain price for some.

bholder likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2021