Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please sign Weather Report / Jaco petition!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by genesis6891, Nov 1, 2003.

1. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Please guys can you sign this petition I set up the other day. It's about eventually trying to get visual Jaco / Weather Report material more widely and easily available to us fans and I'm sure that there are tons of WR and Jaco fans on this forum.

Your support is well appreciated!

http://www.petitiononline.com/19866891/petition.html

2. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Weather Report released a double live record just last year.

3. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    I know - sorry this is for visual material, not audio! The live and unreleased album is awesome though yes :)

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Oh, my bad, I should read a little more slowly next time.

There are at least three or four videos floating around. Check ebay or import companies. I know there is a German WR from Berlin. I do not think that they are bootlegs though, I think that they were just never released in the US. THere has just never been the same demand in the US as in Europe/Asia. Here in the US, you usually get Weather who?

5. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    "Here in the US, you usually get Weather who?"

****e seriously? Man that's somewhat tragic :( Anyway I live in the UK so it SHOULD be easier for me, but the only place I've found to import from is....the US! A small website on the internet which advertises a small video company in the US who apparently stock them. This is what I mean, they were and are such an inspirational and vital part of music and fusion/rock/jazz and yet it is so hard to see any of their live material!

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Not only WR, but also RTF and Mahavishnu too.

7. hmm... I just signed up as the 76th signature...

oh, I am one year late... guess the petition did not work? :meh:

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    those online petitions never work fyi

you'll have to actually move people around and make phone calls if you are serious

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'll sign that petition.
    I've got a couple live dvd's of Jaco. One is a Weather Report show from '76 (Jaco in his prime w/ an awesome percussionist), and the other one is from '82 at the Montreaux Fest - Big Band I think, Jaco sports a wild shirt and bandana thing. I could probably make copies for people? Let me know if anybody is interested in sending me a blank dvd and postage...

10. wow, how bout encoding to divX and sharing it online... well... but the petition think does not work, means it will be illegal! :bawl:

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Actually I'd rather do it the old fashioned way. If anybody wants this I'd have them mail me a blank dvd-r (or 2 if you want both) with a self addressed envelope with proper return postage. I'll make your copy and send it back in your envelope. This is the only way that I think is fair - if I were to charge money, than that should be illegal. I've traded plenty of music this way (B&P). Music is free and I don't think a video of people playing music is any different. I bet Jaco would be stoked that more bass players would actually be able to see him play.
    :)

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Online petitions are a joke. Especially if they are on petitiononline.com. They are just about as effective as well... nothing. If you want to do something, then you have to really do something, as in, something not done in front of the computer.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm happy to see some interest here. So far I've received 2 pm's requesting these videos. I looked over both of them again and the WR show from '76 is actually from the Montreaux Fest and the Jaco Big Band ('82) is from the Montreal Fest. These might even be "official" imports - the setlists are out there somewhere. You guys are missing out on an amazing B&P offer...

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am interested in those DVD's as well. Is there some way that I could get two DVDr's instead of having to buy a whole pack, seeing as I don't have a DVD burner?

16. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, you can get them individually although it's probably slightly more expensive. Every bassist should see this stuff...
    PM is on it's way.