1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PLEASE STOP DOING THIS!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avvie, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    So sometimes people like me are asking for recommendations to make a jazz sound more like a Precision.

YOU ARE NOT BEING HELPFUL AT ALL by snarkily saying "get a Precision".

THERE ARE VERY GOOD REASONS why we don't want a Precision. I have one, and it will not go on stage with me. I don't like the weight. I don't like the neck. I don't like the feel of the body or where it hangs.

We are asking for pickups with a different frequency range. We are not asking for a dog to be a cat; we're asking how to make our dog less hyperactive.

I have two jazz basses that I love everything about but the stock pickups lack warmth. They lack the warmth that P pups have. Some of you get that. Others of you just have to make the "get a P! / only a P sounds like a P!" comment, and you just sound like the trolls who visit the effects forum to tell everyone that you don't use effects. There is nothing useful or helpful about that.

/rant

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

To be fair, a Jazz bass will typically outweigh a Precision and you can get a P with a J neck. You only have one reason there, you don't like it. Really though, that is more than enough reason to not want a Precision.

In regards to the initial question, put in a series/parallel switch. That is the best way to get your Jazz to sound like a Precision, regardless of pickup choice.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    So no one said to drop in a split coil P pickup?
    I'm guessing that wouldn't work for you.
    Cause that's kinda obvious.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  5. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    We're not talking about specific brands; jazz is a body style and associated pickup type. Mine is an MTD.

6. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    But that's not even the question. Nobody is asking for instrument recommendations; they're asking for pickups.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.

HamOnTheCob and Ellery like this.
  7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    That qualifies as a "get a Precision!" response. I am a skilled woodworker who started by designing and building electr8c guitars and even I don't want to hassle with routing instruments

Ellery and gebass6 like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    And the answer is to route and install a Split-P Bass pickup in the neck/middle position of your Jazz Bass. There isn’t a split coil pickup in a Jazz housing that sounds like Split-P Bass pickup. The most highly recommended pickup for this situation is a Dimarzio Model J, which some people claim “comes close”. There are countless threads here on TalkBass that cover this topic.

9. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    Or an MTD Heir, IMHO. I get a great P sound with it, it's light and has a fast neck.

Slater likes this.
  10. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Get an Aerodyne Jazz. Pretty affordable and there’re plenty of them out there used.
    3B228F81-107D-42E9-90CD-167801CC4F86.

Artman, onosson, Spidey2112 and 16 others like this.
  11. Get a precision. j/k I know what you mean.

TheDominoKid and jnsnj like this.
  12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Actually, what you are asking is for your dog to meow like a cat. While it is possible that there are dogs that can make meow sounds (probably on You Tube) usually if yours doesn't then you will need a different dog.

I have Model J's that @Slater mentioned, in a Jazz bass and while it is pretty beefy with the neck pickup solo'd, it doesn't sound exactly like any of my basses that have a P pickup in them. Then again, none of those sound exactly like each other either.

Sorry that my answer will not be what you wanted.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The closest you’re going to get is to use one of the many types of split coil jazz shaped pups that are available, and are easily searchable with tons of info via Google. It’s still not going to sound like a Precision, but it will be closer (by a lot) than using a stock single coil at the neck position. This has been discussed time and time again, with many people concluding through experience that the best answer is indeed “Get a P bass” ;)

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    /|\What he said!/|\

tekhedd, DJ Bebop and petrus61 like this.
  15. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    There are very good reasons people say get a P instead of trying to make a J sound like a P.

(Darn, I shouldn't have said that. Wasn't that the whole message you were trying to get through to us?! My bad.)

And OP, there are medications out there to help you relax. Seriously, man, if you're getting all worked up over this topic, I can only imagine how worked up you get when it's something significant. Be careful. We wouldn't want you to blow a fuse in your brain after reading the replies in your next thread which I'm guessing would be something like, "STOP TELLING ME TO JUST GET A SET OF FLATS WHEN I ASK HOW TO MAKE MY ROUNDS SOUND MORE LIKE FLATS!"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    ^this

I don't know if the OP is aware, but there are laws to physics surrounding the tonal characteristics of magnet materials and the shape, number and sizes of windings around them. In other words, a P pickup sounds like a P pickup because it is shallow and fat and a J pickup sounds that way because it is deep and thin and has a narrower aperture over the strings. There is a lot of nice variations between magnet materials and winding methods, but you can't exactly cop the P tone in the narrow J pickup cover. Not through any pickup technology I know of.

17. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    All of OP's options are listed above. Or, just get a P bass, and put a J neck on it, That's it sorry.. J and P basses do hang the same on a strap IMO. I have J basses, and P basses w/ J necks that feel identical.

18. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Get a good preamp with a sweepable mid control. Solo the neck pickup. Cut the top end around 3000hz and bump the mid around 800-1000hz. Depending on how fat your jazz pickups are you may have to cut a bit of bottom.

Now go record that setup. Then record your P bass. I’d be willing to best if you asked 100 people if they could tell the difference maybe 2 would say yes.

19. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I considered posting in this thread, then thought better of it, then decided to let you know that I will not be posting in this thread except for this notice of that fact.

20. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    BTW, FWIW, 99% of your listeners can't tell the difference between any four-string bass and any other. They can't tell the difference between flats and rounds. They can't tell much of anything, except that they know when it sounds bad. This includes your bandmates. If you have a good sound, it wont matter if it sounds like P, a J or anything else to anyone except you and possibly your sound engineer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.