Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please suggest a bass for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepestend, Feb 4, 2004.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hey,

I might be coming into some money for a new bass soon and I'm not sure what to look for if I should just stay happy with what I've got.

I have an early 80's G&L L-2000 that I love. I love the neck and the growl that I get from the pickups-- not to mention the tonal variety. However, it's just way too heavy to play for too long. I can handle one long session a week with it and after that it starts making my back ache. So, I mainly use it at home or for recording.

My other bass is a Moses jazz neck on a Dinky J body from Warmoth with a bartolini pre and bart soapbars (4 string). The weight is just right here. I like the slim neck, but the twangy gaphite sound doesn't always do it for me. Also, the barts are a little high fi sounding.

So, any suggestions? Something with a solid wood neck that's not too big or too heavy, has pickups with some growl to them, and has a nice vibe to it like a g&l?

Lemme know your thoughts.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm playing a bass that I put together. It is a Warmoth hollow-J body with a custom built neck from Karl Hoyt. I have an MM/J pickup arrangement using Seymour Duncan pickups. I get a very good growl out of this bass and its weight is just under 9 lbs even though the body is made from mahogany. A lighter body wood would reduce this weight even more.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're in New Yawk, as your location indicates, I suggest hitting the great stores you have there and trying out as many basses as you can till you find one that "schmears your bagel."

Trying to discern what is great for you through an internet forum, in terms of tone and playability, is just too subjective, IMO and IME, given the parameters you describe.

You might start with Lakland Skylines if you're budget isn't several thousands of dollars.

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm in the process of doing just that, but thought I'd pick people's brains to see if they had any good ideas.

I was also thinking of a G&L JB-1

5. harperWRD

harperWRD

Feb 3, 2004
  6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I love the L-2000, but they sound nothing like the rest of the G&L's.

Have you thought about a Lakland 4-94? I think they are lighter than the G&L's. They also get similar tonal variety. You can get them with the optional Seymour Duncan Basslines pickup if you are really picky about that growl.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I just tried a sterling at lunch... it was good and I loved the neck, but it didn't sound any better than my L-2000... at least to me.

8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    6-800 tops... I'd def. look for it used first and obviously would have to for that price.