Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Suggest a Quality Rackmount EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bishop55, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Hey Folks,
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I've been weeding through old posts (on my dead slow internet connection) and I haven't seen any direct answers. I am in need of a quality rackmounted equalizer for bass. I have had the best results dialing in "my sound" with the old blue/gray Pultecs, but that seems a bit like overkill! If I found one of these suckers it would never leave my studio rack, and I do need something that can handle road wear. Any practical suggestions? I mention the Pultec for those familar with its sound qualities; smooth, tight lows and well-articulated but "creamy" and deep mids with a load of attractive variable settings in the mid-range. I Know Manley is remanufacturing the Pultecs in a single space unit but whew! 2 grand is a bit out of my price range for an eq.
    Thanks,
    M Bishop

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
  3. Wow,
    Thanks Lyle. I'll have to give this number with the transformer a try. I really like the sweepable low-mid and dedicated mid control.

Michael

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i agree, the speck asc is great. my band used one a couple times for a couple large conferences we played at and it really was very smooth clean and clear.

we also liked the ashly 2150 2 channel 15 band eq that our lead acoustic player uses. if you want single space i think it was around $300 or so

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Ashly makes some very good products, but I don't recommend graphic EQs for instruments. They introduce all kinds of distortion and time alignment problems, and they just don't sound as good as parametrics. They're good choices for subtly controlling a well-designed PA system though (and we get to hear them used that way a handful of times in our lives- most sound guys abuse the hell out of them).

6. True enough about the graphics Lyle! Upon closer inspection I notice that the Speck doesn't seem to have a Q control. Am I missing something? I am wondering how it controls frequency width. Oh well, I'll do some digging and go and have a listen if I can find out here in the country.

Thanks,
    michae;

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For high tweakability, check into the tc electronics 1140 preamp, which has four bands of fully parametric EQ. IME it's extremely quiet and extremely transparent.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis

The L/M and M Bands have "Q"s (they're called Variable Bandwidth Adjustments on the Specks), and the L Band offers a choice of peak/shelf.