1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

please suggest a very lightweight combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass888, Oct 25, 2013.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Hey fellow TB'ers!

My main rig is a Little mark II and a markbass 1X12 cab. I also have a minimark which I brought used a few years ago. I play jazz with a few different settings , an art gallery weekly gig, a restaurant gig and some sub club gigs. Being in nyc I have to carry my amp cab and bass as well as wires , music etc. I am looking for a small package amp that sounds great. I recently played a ba 112 and loved the ampeg tone. Also loved the 5 preset tone selections, however the amp is a only 40 watts (i think) and may be a little quiet for some gigs. I ve looked over the mini rigs of doom and saw some interesting choices.

Weight and size are a key factor (all my transportation is by foot with subways and busses involved) and although I love my main markbass set up, Ive found my mini mark a bit thin sounding.

I would love to hear suggestions on a decent priced combo or cab that is lightweight and sounds good ( love to stay under 20 pounds or enev below 15 lbs if possible).

I play straight jazz almost all of my gigs with a quartet or quintet with a drummer (usually brushes), sax, guitar .

I know very little about gear and love to know what folks are using. I think my watt requirements are roughly '100 ish' and I like 12 inch cabs.

Thank you in advance!

2. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Ive been reading about the crazy 8 (fearful) and perhaps my lm II?

3. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    My standard recommendation is an '80s G-K 200MB combo. Plenty of volume. Solid lows with plenty if mids. It's a classic.

Should be able to find a good one for under $200. Just make sure the speaker is in good shape, as the foam tends to degenerate.

4. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

Oct 21, 2012
    Foxboro, MA
    Have you checked out the Phil Jones amps? The Bass Cub is rated at 100 watts and only 13.2 pounds.
    http://www.philjonespuresound.com
    I think you would have a tough time finding a 12" under 20 lbs.

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I've heard good things about this, especially for low volume jazz gigs. Ibanez Promethean P3110 combo. 10" speaker. 300watts. 37.4 pounds. $349 shipped.

IBA%20P3110.

6. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    thanks i love the tone on my upright but ill have to try my fender (its been a long time).

7. Double G

Double G

Jan 27, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Endorsing Artist: Euphonic Audio
    The Euphonic Audio wizzy 10. 17 pounds , they have a backpack for it. No amp though, the Doubler EA is $795. I think. Gollihur is a good place to shop. I am an endorser.

8. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    BeerSuds, thank you i play a phil jones at a semi regular gig, not a huge fan of their tone (sounds thin to my ears). Its not the bass cub Ill have toswing over to david gage ( i believe he carries them).
    Thanks!

9. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    ill try one if i can find it ... looks hot. thanks for the suggestion. a lil heavy ...

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Those BA112's are very, very efficient. Played a gig a couple nights ago at Bowery Electric upstairs, and the thing really held its own in a medium-volume rock/pop band.

The best you're going to do weight-wise as far as I've been able to find would be a EA Wizzy 110 at 17 lbs, then get the lightest head possible. I've given up on finding anything affordable under 30 lbs, which is a manageable weight for electric gigs. You use a hand cart, right?

11. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY

Ive heard good things about these . I would love to find one to try and the weight is right as is the size. Many swear by these here.

12. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Snarf I do use a hand cart for the upright gigs only. my electric gigs I dont. I played at the tea lounge a few weeks ago with a non jazz gig and the ba 115 I borrowed really killed it, but it was heavy. YEs looks like I like the ba112 and the ea wizzy those sound like great choices

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The fearful Crazy 88 would get you there. Think output of a high quality 210 or 112.

Not generally thought of as a jazz amp, but if you like the older school sounds of the Ampeg....a guy I know who plays in another band and runs his own sound like I do...we went to see a couple weeks ago...used to run a Markbass 112 combo....he just got a new Orange something or another 112 combo....probably their terrorbass amp built into a combo.....the flavored, post-eq DI out of that thing run through his PA system (yamaha powered tops + JBL passive subs with a hefty poweramp), sounded absolutely fantastic with both his Stingray and P-bass. Typical rock-n-roll coverband stuff, not jazz by any stretch, but I was pretty impressed with his sound. Combo is small. I don't know how much it weighs but can't be all that much. Small package for transport.

14. msaone

msaone

May 13, 2012
    When I bought my rumble 30 I put it against the comparable ba series. The rumble killed it. I think the ampeg may have been damaged.

The rumble had great sound but the tilt back cabinet is a little cumbersome to carry.

15. From what you have listed it seems that you already have everything you need because you will hardly find anything with better weight-to-power ratio than Markbass staff. My Micromark 801 is only 45 Watt but if pushed it gets ridiculously loud.

16. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    My Tone Hammer 350 through a crazy 88 is amazing, but the 88 certainly isn't a "budget" buy. I can't imagine letting that cab go.

TC Electronic's new BG250-208 would certainly be worthwhile looking at. Small footprint, very light and reasonably priced.

Here's a link:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-family/

17. bpa11

bpa11

Feb 9, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Very tough to find a 12" under 20 lbs. Been using a GK MB112 for small gigs and practices. At 28 lbs, might be more weight than you prefer, but worth checking out nonetheless.

18. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to go gc in ny and tried the orange, ampeg ba, micro mark and gk combo. Was not in love with the volume levels but the ampeg was great for 280 as was the markbass for 500. Still looking and going to try some later this week. Would love to try the gk 150 mb combo but can't find them in stock.

19. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY

I'm finding that my 1x12 weighs that amount.

20. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Bob the crazy 8' and 88 are very interesting for sure