Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please...Suggest Me A Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Origami Kamikaz, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    Hi all. First real post here and I'm already asking for help...sorry about that but...

So I switched from guitar to bass 6 months ago. I have my own bass (SX SJB-75C, series/parallel switch) and have been playing through my friend's amp (Traynor YBA-1 into homemade 210 and 115 cabs) for a while now, but I decided it was time to quit leeching off of other people's gear.

So I have a refurbished '70s Sunn 200s tube head coming in, and I'm trying to find a cab to go with it. Seeing as I am in college and short of money, I think I will have to go with a single cab instead of my friend's 2 cab setup. The question is: what'll it be?

First of all: configuration. My preferred sound is a picked, hard-edged sound that is high in bass and treble and low in mids, a la 80s post-punk bands such as The Cure, Joy Division, and Mission of Burma. I ruled out a 115 configuration because I didn't think it would give me enough top end. Right now I'm thinking about a 410, because the band I'm in is fairly loud and I need to move some air, but I've read some reviews of the Avatar B410 complaining that the 410 didn't give out enough bottom end! (Don't know if that's because of the speakers' size or model, though.) And a 212 would only push 24 inches diameter of air, which is a big step down from the 35 inches I've become used to.

Second of all: brand. Every single bassist I like uses Ampeg SVT heads into 810 cabs, but my budget is $400 or less, so... I've been looking at an SVT-410HLF, but the 4ohm design means I won't be able to hook up another cab if I ever feel like it...everybody talks about the Avatars, but as I said above, mixed reviews. Beyond that, I simply don't know which companies make good cabs.

So yep...given the above restrictions, is there any hope for me at all? Please help a guy out. Thanks much!

2. I would look into a 1x15 with a tweeter if you want no mids in your sound.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm getting a Sunn 200s too!!! I already have a Sceptre (same poweramp, different preamp), and the key to getting good tone & usable volume with these heads is having efficient speakers, as well as more vintage-toned speakers. (aka lots of mids, not modern day voiced speakers) Sunns have a very distinctive midrange sound that you'll either love or hate. Very different from Ampeg.

4. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    I sort of thought about that, but as I said, I'm not sure it would push enough air. Also, wouldn't that make for an overall less flexible rig, not to mention that the 15 is not the most responsive speaker size?

5. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Well, most 15s are pretty responsive. They don't move nearly as much air as a 410 so there is deffinately not as much volume. If I didn't know any better I'd say you are describing SWR or Eden tone. Look around. There aren't many 4x10s that are under $400. A 2x15 would be something to consider. Then again, like a 4x10, you'd be looking at around $700. I haven't played the SWR Workingman cabs but you might want to try those. Same with Gallien Krueger. GK stuff is good for the money. Look for a 2x12 also.

www.musiciansfriend.com is owned by Guitar Center and has the standard pricing for most gear. Go play on equipment and see what sounds good. If you friend doesn't mind, tell him you are looking for cabs and see if you can use his while you save a bit more. A couple hundred more will go a long way.

6. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    Avatar's B410 Kappa Pro is only $375. According to the website, it's a 410 with good high- and low-end performance, which sounds awfully similar to what I'm looking for. Also, it got a perfect 10 over 7 reviews in terms of sound and overall rating (and nearly every other rating as well) on HC reviews. Right now I feel like this is my safest bet.

If only these guys made a 215! I'd almost just get 2 115s, but then I'd just go way over budget for a lot of wood and metal that I don't need. Plus, I'd look pretty silly...

PS. Could anyone name me a few brands that make a nice 215 cab? I'll go look at those SWRs and GKs now...

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    In your initial post you mentioned that every bassist you like uses an ampeg 810. If you check out the used market you should be able to pick one up within your budget. That being said, I personally dislike ampeg cabs in general and their 810 specifically.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My Avatar 2x10 Pro has a pretty similar tonal character to my Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 4x10. The Powerhouse is superior for pushing tubey and vintage tones- it really allows the full character to come out of my Bass 400- and has a low mids bump that gives you some presence in a full band setting. By this logic, an Avatar 4x10 Pro would probably meet your needs pretty well and fall in your budget. I dont think Avatar stuff is lacking in low end.

I also own an SWR Goliath III 4x10 and it is horrible for bringing out the coloration in my tone. I would advise against SWR for a tube head, unless you are using it with another cab that has a heavily vintage ballsy tone. If you go SWR, you might like a used Son of a Birtha 1x15... SWR 15's are among my favorite cabinets, even for tubey heads.

9. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    Hey, thanks everyone, this is a lot of help. I'll think about it over the weekend, but that Avatar 410 Pro is looking more enticing than ever. I may just go for it.

Man, I never got this much help on the HC forums as a guitarist...