Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please suggest new cab!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 17, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Current Rig: Carvin R1000, Carvin RL115 Cab, Ampeg 8x10

Problem: Carvin cab has no lows, even at moderate volumes, 4 string hanldes fine, but 5 string tuned ADADG, it just wont take it. I NEED THE LOW END!

Please suggest a new cab.
    Possibly the Hartke 4.5 XL (30 Hz)
    Maybe Avatar 4x10 or 15
    nothing too expensive

any suggestions?????????????

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I think that there are too many variables to make a really good recommendation but I've never been a real fan of Carvin cabs. Out of the two that you've listed I'd seriously consider the Avatars. I'm partial to 410's but a 115 could be exactly what you're looking for. Later on, when cash is a little better, you may want to consider putting a 210 on top of it, that should give you a really nice overall sound.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    4x10...add a 15" later if you think it doesn't give you the low you need(of course tuned down to A--maybe a 2x15 is what you really want!:D ). Good luck with it!!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you have the wattts to throw at them, a pair of ACME B-2's should crank out some nice lows. Two Eden T-210XST's might be an alternative as well.

In addition to the 1x15 or 2x15 option, a lot of the current 1x12 and 2x12's out there are also very adept at handling a low B, and should be able to handle it dropped to an A. Of course, for the ultimate in low end, you could always pick up a Whappo Grande:

Oh, wait. You said nothing too expensive...

If you are willing to lug it around, Mesa Boogie 2x15's can be found for a good price from time to time on ebay.

Later, Tom.

5. I liked the hartke 4.5 xl you talk about when I played through a 3500. I dont know about a low A:meh:. You'd definetly want a 15 below that cab though to add more low end as its got aluminum cones. It has loads of punch, but it may not have to low your looking for, but it has plenty of punch and volume for me.

But thats just me. I'm a Hartke Addict; sometimes people on here wonder if I'm a hartke sponsor to this website;) , just kidding.

6. I play my 5s (tuned to E flat) through a Hartke 7000 and an Avatar 2x10 and Avatar 1x15 and the Avatars produce the low end admirably well. Great great value and quality for the price paid.

7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I'm a big fan of Avatar cabs. I never came around to buying one, but my friend has a few and they offer loads of low end. My Ampeg stv410hlf has great lows too, but thats much more expensive than an Avatar. For the price, go Avatar.

8. I've been really happy with my Avatar B210 and B212. The B210 obviously doesn't handle my B string very well so I'm running a crossover and bi-amping. The B212 does very well with the lows and has a nice tight sound. For the money, you can't go wrong!!

9. well, a 215 isnt gonna go lower than a 115, though it'll be 3db louder, and I haven't seen any 8 ohm 215's yet so... I'd rather take a 18" , for example the big ben from SWR.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    GenzBenz XB2 cabs

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Ernie Ball Musicman 2/12 cabs that they sell at blowout prices on e-bay, are great bang for the buck!

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's wrong with the 810? Are you planning to use the 810 with the new cab?:confused:

13. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    theres nothing wrong with the 8x10, exceot that it is huge and difficult to lug around. and i have not yet played my carvin R1000 through it, so it may or may not handle the lows.

i like the idea of a 15 better than a 4x10, but 15s cant handle much power, which is what i need. volume and lows, i guess a 2x10 and a 15 or 18 would be good, i just have to find the money.

avatar users: does the 15 really handle the lows? REALLY? i know all you want to do is praise it, but thats all i can go off of is others opinions. can it get some good volume without farting?

14. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    oh and another thing about the 8x10, its not mine, its actually my drummers, but i cant use it until practice, and it will never leave his house unless theres a show involved

15. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you need the Low end, you might want to look at something with an 18" Speaker. There are a number of PA subs that work well for Low end if another cabinet is used for Highs. PA subs sometimes are cheaper than 18" Cabs sold by Bass Cab makers.

You might be able to find a used 18 Sub at www.musicgoround.com or ebay from $150-$300.

Musicians Friend has a Behringer 18" Sub for $200 as well as other 18" Subs at higher prices.

16. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Aluminum cones do not = more or less low end necessarily.

17. may i rephrase? Those Hartke 410's have enough and plenty low end for my taste, and they are on the bright side.

they are 10" too, so they wont have as much as say an 18"

18. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    just got back. the 8x10 got a better throaty tight in your chest kind of tone. it was great. the head still has plenty of headroom. i still have not bridged it yet and i still have not clipped or peaked it. the 8x10 still lacked the extreme low end but thats since it is sealed, and it was on a concrete floor with bare walls. so it was impossible to get bass anyways. i am going to get a 18" PA sub and pair it with that cab, and maybe use a 12" sub i found in my garage for the mids and highs. anyone else use PA subs or car subs?

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of the bands I play in uses powered Mackie subs.......my Bergie 2/12 goes deeper:cool:

20. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have used a a pair of Peavey 118 HC subs for years to get my low end.
    Most gigs I only use a single 18 with either a 4x10 or 2x10 for the Highs.
    If I am using 2 18s, I also use either 2 4x10s or a 4x10 with a 2x10. I use 2 18s in outdoor gigs or gigs where PA support is poor or nonexistant.

I crossover the 18s at either 100hz (if using 1) or 75hz (if using 2).
    I bought the pair of 118 HC subs new for around $300 each 9 years ago.
    I have seen the same subs go somewhere between $125 and $175 used.

Peavey 118 HC manual:
    http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/118subhc.cfm

The nice thing about these Subs is that the sensitivity is 100db. This is a nice match for most Bass 4x10 cabs that have a sensitivity from 98db to 100 db. They are -10db at 35hz, but I use a Boss Parametric EQ (PQ-50) after the crossover to add a +20db boost at 30Hz. This is similar to what companies like BagEnd do to get subs to be flat down to the lowest octave.

Several years ago, I was written a ticket for exceeding the local noise ordinance when using the pair of Subs in a gig. The ticket had the measured reading of 120db outside the club from the street.