Please suggest replacement pre-amp tubes for Hartke 3500 amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Feb 28, 2006.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    My current bass rig is a Hartke 3500 head hooked to a Hartke 2200 cab. The rig sounds simply amazing, especially with the Cirrus plugged in, but I am not too dazzled with the tube pre-amp sound. It seems from what I have read that others also have had this issue.

So, what tubes do you recommend as replacements for the factory one in the 3500 head? How hard is it to replace? Costs in volved? Can I do this myself (I have an engineering background and work on computers/networks daily)?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try a 7025. $7.50 to $15. Easy to do yourself.
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Where are some good places to order these from?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The replacement should take no more than 5 minutes, even if you're technically inept. I really didn't like the stock sovtek that came in my 3500. I've tried a bunch, and my choice these days is a 'high gain' JJ 12AX7 from Eurotubes.

...but I also liked an Ei tube that was in use before that...I've had several Ei's that came branded the same (even bought them in the same batch) but they have different plate characteristics (size, shape, color). Ei's also have a high failure rate, so you might have to go through a few to find one that doesn't ring.

I used one of the ElectroHarmonix 12AX7's and didn't like it too much. It lost some of the definition on the high end and I felt the amp lost some useable 'liveliness'.

I've used a batch of vintage tubes too, but none fared too well. They're best saved for other amps.