1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please talk me into or out of a 15FH520

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kartiste, Nov 12, 2017.

1. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Early this year I built a pair of boxes (120.44 liters, 45.5 Hz) to house a couple of JBL K140’s, but with an eye toward later plugging in modern, lightweight neo speakers for higher performance. I was thinking 3015LF at the time, possibly to be bi-amped along with a separate box for the mid/highs. But after gigging with the JBL’s, singly and as a pair, I’m satisfied they are loud enough and tone-y enough for anything I might currently expect. The weight is still a bit of a concern, though, and I have to be careful not to overdrive them with either my XLS1500 or my MiniMega. And I use a high-pass filter from fDeck.

Furthermore, we have a new drummer, who brings with him a better PA (including subwoofers) and the habit of running everything through it. I’m also trying to play my way into this drummer’s other band, as a fill-in. In either case, I go direct and my on-stage rig becomes my monitor. And I’m in yet another band with our old drummer and his vocals-only PA, where I would have to carry the room.

Despite having a workable, great-sounding rig, I still have an itch to at least have the option of a lighter, one-box solution. I’ve been looking at the Faital 15HF520, which weighs 5lbs less than a K140. Using fDeck’s handy online modeling program (thanks, Francis), it looks like a good match, with a curve similar to the K140, only a little flatter. Although Faital rates it at 600w (vs. 150 for the K140), it reaches its Xmax of 8.75mm at 300w (vs. 5.0mm at 150w for the K140). Since its sensitivity is the same as a K140, this means the 15FH520 is effectively as loud as a pair of K140’s at the same power input, up to Xmax. But Faital quotes an “Xdamage” of 16mm (vs. ??? for the K140). This tempts me to think that maybe, if ever needed, I could run it on my XLS1500 bridged mono and not worry, as long as I don’t drive it into clipping. Maybe I could use Cosmos A (sub-octaver) on my MiniMega for some of the EDM’y songs the new drummer’s other band does.

I could find only scant 15FH520 information on TB, but I’d certainly like to hear from anyone who uses them full-range – what do they sound like on axis in the near field? I don’t expect to get K140 magic out of one, but with EQ maybe pretty good? Any holes in my reasoning above? Also, I see Beach Audio has them for $198, vs. the usual $325. Is that suspect?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I sure wouldn't want to hit Xdamage (or Xlim) as damage accumulates very quickly at that point. Damage actually begins to accumulate as you go beyond Xmax, the rate of accumulated damage increases the more you go beyond Xmax. Also, note that the 600 watt rating is a "must survive" for 2 hours... derate this significantly if you want your driver to last very long. That's my experience.

Otherwise, if it meets the needs of the cabinet then is should have reasonable voicing in the mids.

kartiste likes this.
  3. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Well, I rolled the dice - have one ordered.

dukeorock likes this.