Please Tell Me About The MIA 62RI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddtodd, May 19, 2005.

1. i have played a Geddy Lee, and a STD MIA Jbass.
    how does the 62RI differ in playability and sound?

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Don't know much about the GL, just not my sort of bass. The '62 MIA RI has a 7.25" (or is it 7.5"?) radius fingerboard vs.9.5" on the MIA and the RI has a skinnier neck. The RI has '60s pups vs. whatever they use in the new MIA. The '62 RI would be my choice because it is more like a vintage Jazz.

Edit: Oh, yeah. The '62 RI does not have a graphite reinforced neck.
  3. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    For some reason the MIA '62 RIs (and the MIM 60's model)just don't play as well as other Fender Jazz basses in my opinion.

I never bothered to really analyze carefully or take measurements, but these were my impressions:

Neck felt very round--a little too much so for my taste.

strings felt significantly higher from the body than other J's, even when I set up for low action/relief. For me, this hampered my right hand techniqe a bit. Not a big problem, but enough to bug me.

Fretwork and construction quality were outstanding!

Sounded great through an all-tube head, but I didn't dig it as much through my EA iAmp. Very vintagey tone, which I ultimately decided isn't my bag. IMO this bass sounded fatter and warmer than a Lakland Joe Osborne I played, but didn't have as much clarity.

Again, these were just my personal impressions.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you sure it has a skinnier neck? I have never seen the MIA, but the MIJ '62 reissue has a very large neck. Nothing like a jazz. But, like I said, I have never seen the MIA RI.

The radius should be 7.25" and nut 1.75" (again based on the MIJ).

I prefer the neck on my MIJ '62 reissue over the newer necks but it is harder to play further up the neck.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Nut on the '62 MIA RI is 1 1/2" The neck on the '62 MIA RI is definitely thinner than a standard MIA Jazz.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    EDIT: I just realized I am taking about a '62 reissue P bass and the original quote is about J basses. Doh!
  7. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

One of the great things about being human is the occasional opportunity to make a goose of yourself in public. I should know; I've done it often enough.
  8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'll mention a few things about the MIA '62 Reissue that haven't been mentioned yet.

*thinner 'vintage' size frets.

The thinner frets have a different feel that some people prefer.

*Stack-knob controls: a Volume/Tone control for each pickup (instead of the standard configuration of Volume for each pickup and one 'global' Tone control).

This control configuration gives a different sound and allows more flexibility with a Tone control for each pickup.

*Reverse style tuners

I wouldn't say that these affect playability or tone, but thought I would mention them as they are different.

I hope this has been helpful.
  9. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks, Zomby, I'd forgotten about the points you mentioned. I never cared for the stack knob thing until I wound up owning a bass that was so equipped and now I prefer it.
  10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Don't forget the fact that you have to remove the neck to make any truss rod adjustments. :meh:
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If it bugs you enough you can always get someone who knows what he's doing to rout a channel in the body/pickguard for truss rod adjustment.
  12. I just got a MIA '62RI today, and I suggest you do too!

I shopped around alot first...i played normal mexican fender jazzes, MIM '62RI jass, a MIA '57 pbass RI..and a couple other i forget.

Its not that easy to tell, but with the nitro finish on the MIA reissue you get a warmer, fatter sound then you do with the finish on the standard fenders.

one more difference everyone forgot is on the MIA reissue, there is a strap hook thingy on the headstock (completely useless, but its vintage spec)
  13. I've played one briefly at a music shop and it seemed a bit harder to play than my MIA Deluxe J. The neck was a bit chunkier and the strings were set up a bit higher than my preference. The result? A very thumpy J with a lot of 60s vibe! The Geddy is very different - fast neck, growly pickups, maple fingerboard.
  14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have two american vintage series 62RI J's (a 1984 and 1997), and I still believe it's the best production instrument that Fender currently makes.

My RI's absolutey crush the getty and the marcus and the am standard in the slap department, and I really feel the neck feels more comfy. The soft nitro finish simply feels much better in my hands and I believe it helps the tone 'blossom' better compared to the thick-rock hard finish on other models. The stack-knob controls also give more tone options over the 3-knob.

Mine don't have funny high feeling action. Oh, and I don't remove the necks for adjustments...I simply remove the pickguards for access, it's much easier and takes the guess work on how far to adjust.
  15. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I agree totally. Without a doubt the sound of the 62 just plain rapes everything but the custom shop Jazz basses. And IMO, this may seem strange, but the tone is so rich and dimensional on these basses, that you'd swear you were holding a high end "modern" bass. GAS!!!!
  16. Ostinato, you are definately correct. I A-B compared my '62 RI with a MIM Jazz, and a MIM '60s classic Jazz, and discovered that the tone of the '62 RI was so much fatter and warmer sounding than the rest. That is what sold me on it.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    These 62 and 75 MIA reissues are the best basses that Fender has ever produced. I hate hate hate 70's Fenders but I played a CAR 75 reissue and had I not just bought a beautiful 98 Jazz that does everything I need, I would have bought it immediately. A much better bass than the real 70's basses.

As for the 62 reissues, if I owned a pre-CBS Fender, I would have sold it and bought five 62 reissues. They blow away most pre-CBS Fenders in everything except "vibe." I put "vibe" in quotes because I think it's a silly concept made up by people who associate cigarette burns on the headstock with playability. I'll put the vibe in my basses when I play them, thank you.

I will never buy another electric again (ever since I got my 98 Jazz I have all the bass I'll ever need), but those reissues sure are great.
  18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    God...I have a '70s Special Edition Jazz with a badly bowed neck...the sound? It's good but not quite "there" if you know what I mean. More or less on par with the Standard series basses. Anyway, this was my first online purchase...but I made sure I chose a store with a good customer policy. Their policy? 100% trade-in on any instrument you buy from them. ;)

I played a '62RI about ten yeas ago and have NEVER forgotten how it sounded. I was actually shopping for a preamp and got to plug it into an Alembic F-2B. JEZUZ what a sound! (I bought the pre)

Now it looks like I need to complete the purchase. :D