Please tell me I can afford a decent rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Last night, I got to play with a drummer who was a total machine. Double bass pedal and all. Tim Alexander was born a new in this kid, he's like 17 and he's one of the best drummers I've ever heard live... period, and I was playing with him... with a 60 watt fender bassman... :meh: I've recently discovered my amp distorts when turned up past 7, plus I have a limiter on there to avoid total destruction of my amp.

So I've decided 60 watts isn't cutting the mustard anymore. I need a new amp. I want to get a head and a cabnet, I don't like combos anymore. So if I sold my fender bassman, plus a a peavy 60 watt I have sitting around (which needs a little work... maybe) and save up my summer job money...

... could I afford a gigging man's rig. I'm not going to be playing any stadiums or anything in the future, I don't even know where to begin. I'm usually pumped through a PA... but not always.

Any recommendation for a broke college kid. :meh:

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    give me a round about dollar figure and I will give you a recommendation

3. I hope this isn't coming out of the 100 dollar budget you had put aside for a delay. :p

4. I don't know how you feel about Behringer products, but this is what I did as i'm a broke high school student. I got the Behringer BX3000 and an Avatar 210 and 115. The Behringer is pretty loud and the Avatars sound good. Of course, they can handle a lot more power, so when we fall into more money, we could always upgrade to power/pre set up.

Pete

EDIT: The behringer sounds quite nice too. I could get a tone i liked out of it pretty easily.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... well...

... I was kinda hoping...

:bag: :D

I can't really even give you an amount I'm willing to pay. Jeesh, I need to reasearch, I don't even know going prices etc. Under $1000 :eyebrow: ... :bag:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Look into Nemesis combos by Eden. I used mine ( a 2-10) at practices with two guitarist running halfstacks a lot louder than they had to and it worked out pretty damn well even though I was pushing it.

Peace
    Nick

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    get the Traynor YBA200. Tubeity tubeity tube!

8. You can get a nice used Goliath III (410) for around $500. A used Avatar 410 can be had for peanuts. This leaves you with $$$ for a nice head or pre/power amp setup. Too many choices to list. More info needed.

9. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

My apologies in advance for being a gear slut,but I've got a good,used Hartke HA7000 for sale for $400+ shipping.It pushes 350 watts per side into 4 ohms.It's a cool piece of gear.Email or IM me if you're interested.

10. i also have the behringer bx3000t amp 300watts at 4 ohms. and a avatar 2x12. i am planning on getting a avatar 2x10 to go on top of it, the avatar 2x12 is 8 ohms so right know i am only sending 165 somthin watts to it and its still loudenuff. it sound great. i think the bx3000t was 200 bucks and the 2x12 was 2 or 300 dollars. (i have a bad memory)

11. The other night i played a rig with a 700 watt peavey firebass head and peavey 410, and it was plenty loud enough to keep up with a drummer and 2 guitarists. It sounded pretty good too. I checked and theres 2 of these heads on ebay going for 150-200 and if you add an avatar 410 for $340 you'll have a giggable rig for around 600 after you factor in shipping.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    swr sm400s -350
    spend the rest on speakers of your choice. peavey makes a good sounding cab for little dough. used swr cabs go for change all day long. hell i got my epifani for as cheap as most find used aggie 1x12's.

13. Peavey. :bag:

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    A pair of used Aguilar GS112's will run $600. Which leaves you $400 for the head of your choice.

As a previous poster mentioned, a used 410 (Aguilar, SWR or Ampeg) should go for about $500. Which leaves you $500 for a head.

If your into hard/heavey music, an Aguilar GS412 is what you want :D . However, they are rare on the used market and will run about $900 new.

Given the type of music you are into and your budget, I think the 410 would suite you best.

Goodluck!

15. You could get a used Sansamp RBI and QSC RMX1450 for like $550 together and Avatar cabs new for cheap. That would be a good rig! (Also what I wan, teeheehee)

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Heh, If I had money NOW, I wouldn't mind gear whoring. ;)

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This are all great suggestions guys, you've definatly got me looking in the right direction. :)

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

It's rare that I truely G.A.S. but... oooh

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Anything I can do to spread the G.A.S. around....
    edit: You know, The QSC RMX 850 =830wt bridged at 4ohms..... 'eh? 'eh?[​IMG][​IMG]