Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please tell me I can afford a decent rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Last night, I got to play with a drummer who was a total machine. Double bass pedal and all. Tim Alexander was born a new in this kid, he's like 17 and he's one of the best drummers I've ever heard live... period, and I was playing with him... with a 60 watt fender bassman... :meh: I've recently discovered my amp distorts when turned up past 7, plus I have a limiter on there to avoid total destruction of my amp.

So I've decided 60 watts isn't cutting the mustard anymore. I need a new amp. I want to get a head and a cabnet, I don't like combos anymore. So if I sold my fender bassman, plus a a peavy 60 watt I have sitting around (which needs a little work... maybe) and save up my summer job money...

... could I afford a gigging man's rig. I'm not going to be playing any stadiums or anything in the future, I don't even know where to begin. I'm usually pumped through a PA... but not always.

Any recommendation for a broke college kid. :meh:

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    give me a round about dollar figure and I will give you a recommendation

3. I hope this isn't coming out of the 100 dollar budget you had put aside for a delay. :p

4. I don't know how you feel about Behringer products, but this is what I did as i'm a broke high school student. I got the Behringer BX3000 and an Avatar 210 and 115. The Behringer is pretty loud and the Avatars sound good. Of course, they can handle a lot more power, so when we fall into more money, we could always upgrade to power/pre set up.

Pete

EDIT: The behringer sounds quite nice too. I could get a tone i liked out of it pretty easily.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... well...

... I was kinda hoping...

:bag: :D

I can't really even give you an amount I'm willing to pay. Jeesh, I need to reasearch, I don't even know going prices etc. Under $1000 :eyebrow: ... :bag:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Look into Nemesis combos by Eden. I used mine ( a 2-10) at practices with two guitarist running halfstacks a lot louder than they had to and it worked out pretty damn well even though I was pushing it.

Peace
    Nick

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    get the Traynor YBA200. Tubeity tubeity tube!

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You can get a nice used Goliath III (410) for around $500. A used Avatar 410 can be had for peanuts. This leaves you with $$$ for a nice head or pre/power amp setup. Too many choices to list. More info needed.

9. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

My apologies in advance for being a gear slut,but I've got a good,used Hartke HA7000 for sale for $400+ shipping.It pushes 350 watts per side into 4 ohms.It's a cool piece of gear.Email or IM me if you're interested.

10. i also have the behringer bx3000t amp 300watts at 4 ohms. and a avatar 2x12. i am planning on getting a avatar 2x10 to go on top of it, the avatar 2x12 is 8 ohms so right know i am only sending 165 somthin watts to it and its still loudenuff. it sound great. i think the bx3000t was 200 bucks and the 2x12 was 2 or 300 dollars. (i have a bad memory)

11. The other night i played a rig with a 700 watt peavey firebass head and peavey 410, and it was plenty loud enough to keep up with a drummer and 2 guitarists. It sounded pretty good too. I checked and theres 2 of these heads on ebay going for 150-200 and if you add an avatar 410 for $340 you'll have a giggable rig for around 600 after you factor in shipping.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    swr sm400s -350
    spend the rest on speakers of your choice. peavey makes a good sounding cab for little dough. used swr cabs go for change all day long. hell i got my epifani for as cheap as most find used aggie 1x12's.

13. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    A pair of used Aguilar GS112's will run $600. Which leaves you $400 for the head of your choice.

As a previous poster mentioned, a used 410 (Aguilar, SWR or Ampeg) should go for about $500. Which leaves you $500 for a head.

If your into hard/heavey music, an Aguilar GS412 is what you want :D . However, they are rare on the used market and will run about $900 new.

Given the type of music you are into and your budget, I think the 410 would suite you best.

Goodluck!

14. You could get a used Sansamp RBI and QSC RMX1450 for like $550 together and Avatar cabs new for cheap. That would be a good rig! (Also what I wan, teeheehee)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Heh, If I had money NOW, I wouldn't mind gear whoring. ;)

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This are all great suggestions guys, you've definatly got me looking in the right direction. :)

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

It's rare that I truely G.A.S. but... oooh

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Anything I can do to spread the G.A.S. around....
    edit: You know, The QSC RMX 850 =830wt bridged at 4ohms..... 'eh? 'eh?[​IMG][​IMG]