1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please tell me is there any love for the Boss LMB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jul 10, 2019.

1. I have tried 3 different EQs and didn't care for any of them. I tried a MXR M100S,Whirlwind bass 10, and my Boss GEB-7. And I have used the Keeley Bassist for over a year, tried every setting you can think of, and I don't care for it all. I want a sound as low as you can get it without being Muddy. I want them guitar players and we have 2 on our worship team. a Rhythm and one lead. I want people to know I play bass, not a half ass guitar.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    diegom likes this.
  2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Is it possible to look at the band mix and the PA?

3. I am not run trough the PA.

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Yes but maybe the problem isn't with you :)

Mvilmany likes this.
  5. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I used one for a minute. I wouldn't say that it will give you great low end, but, definitely some high end. It's got a bit of treble, and hiss.

You may want to look at an HPF instead.

What rig are you using?

6. I am using a SWR 350 head and a SWR 410 CAB, Bass I am using a MIM Jazz bas loaded with EMG JV52s, I also use my Lakland 3TBS Hollow body it has Chi Sonic pickups. Lakland told me they are a single coil bass on a bass P90

7. An SWR 350 and 410 ought to be plenty for a church gig unless you guys are blasting or there is something amiss in the signal chain. If that ain't hitting it adding pedals is not going to fix anything. Effects are seasoning and sauce there is no substitute for the steak and the cooking.

The LMB3 is a decent pedal but it ain't what you are looking for, move along.

SunnBass likes this.
  8. Then what would you suggest

9. What would you suggest I use and thank you for helping me.

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Better EQ. Forget the ”low as you can get” thing and aim for clarity and cutting through. Boost your mids and cut your muddy bass. Bass is lower notes, not necessarily lower EQ.

An HPF could help. Maybe a compressor, too, if used lightly, controlled to pop and clear up extraneous stuff, not crushingly compressed. I suggest an Empress or Origin — lots of control there. Your Keely should have worked; it’s a good comp.

Rickter, jchrisk1 and And I like this.
  11. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Flatwound strings and a compressor.

Smokey Lynx likes this.
  12. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    It may be as easy as getting your amp up off of floor. Floor coupling = boom city.

Mvilmany and brett adams like this.
  13. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    yes up off the floor does wonders for any bass amp!!!!

zapped777 likes this.
  14. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

jchrisk1 likes this.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Keeley Bassist is the best, most useful pedal you have....but it's not an EQ.

16. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    To have the bass be distinct and heard, you should make sure everyone else in the band, especially the keyboard player, turns the bass on their own amps or PA channels down. And if the keyboard player is playing a lot down low with the left hand, that's your job, ask them to ease up. If all that is done, then you can determine if you need to make changes too. If keys and guitar are filling up the low notes, nothing you do to your tone is going to fix the issue.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  17. The EQ does not give the tone I am looking for. I want a deeper bass sound with out getting muddy. I wonder what MXR with overdrive , and tone controls on it, and switch for each.

18. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    That LMB-3 probably isn't the answer to your problems. The controls aren't very intuitive and if you don't already have a good handle on how to use a compressor/limiter, the LMB-3 isn't a great platform to learn it on. Besides, a limiter isn't going to solve your problems. Also, pretty much every EQ pedal sounds as good as any other EQ pedal - there isn't a ton of variation, to be honest. I think your problem is you don't have a good grasp on EQ.

There is a common misconception that big, fat bass is all the way down on the frequency spectrum. That nice round bass tone is usually somewhere between 60hz - 100hz. Anything lower than 60hz starts to become useless to a bassist. Once you start getting down past 40-60hz, the frequency is too low to convey pitch to our human ears - it's just rumble (It's important to note that "rumble" shouldn't be confused with feeling a 60-100hz signal in your feet on a hollow stage). Rumble should really be the domain of a kick drum if anything, since it doesn't have to convey any harmonic content. If you have a lot of that rumble frequency range coming out of your amp, it's going to make things sound muddy. Cutting out frequencies below 50-60hz can help A LOT in making bass guitar sound fatter and rounder.

19. The sound of your bass into the SWR 350 and 410 have got to sound good first. Once you have that then effects can improve on that.

Bassmike62 and jchrisk1 like this.
  20. Dude at guitar center told me to put the EQ before the compressor for a warmer sound