1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please tell me more about this (weird) Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I'm doing a basic setup/overhaul for my friend who's getting back into bass. I don't think I've ever seen a P/J Precision bass like this before. It's active with a Jazz-type neck and is as light as heck. I thought it was a P-bass Lyte, but this one has stacked vol/blend, treble/bass in two knobs. It also has microtuners in the bridge. Made in USA. Nifty.

I'm going to go over the the Fender site and lurk around. Is there a "nickname" for this type of P-bass? I'd date it to the 80's. Can anyone tell more more about this run of basses? What do you think it would fetch now for a price?

Attached Files:

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    In the 80's Fender did put Kubicki preamps in some of them. I really don't remember the name they used. Sorry

3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Huh, that's interesting. The preamp sounds nice. Not harsh. It's got Lace-Sensor pickups in it. Maybe I should keep this bass, LOL.

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Crud. I put this in the wrong forum by mistake. I meant to put it into plain Bass Guitars.

Mods, if you could please move this, I'd appreciate it. :) Thanks.

5. N series = 1990s
    looks to me like a Fender Precision PLUS DELUXE
    some had active Kubicki preamps

6. Not too special in that it was produced w/o the Normal headstock (prodigy type HS) and minus PG - was a cheaper run/design. There is one in New England listed for 750 but has been up for Sale for too long - I suspect it's worth something in the 500 range if you find the right buyer. Good Luck

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I have a 2006 P-Bass Special that's a P/J with a Jazz neck. Awesome bass.

8. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Thanks for the info, guys. Buy it now price for $1400? Really?

9. That's what he wants for it but not likely what he'll get for it. If he insists on that price he'll probably have it for a long while.

10. If it's got that extra deep cutaway below the neck it's definitely some sort of Plus. That skinny headstock & lettering screams Prodigy but the Lace Sensors were definitely a P-Bass Plus item. I have a 91-ish without the active electronics, it's definitely a P-Bass Plus, but it looks different than this, yours must have been a limited run or something.

11. His is a Plus Deluxe.

12. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I'd rather not sell it, but it's up for sale 'cause of my wife.....;)

The Plus Deluxe is a very rare bird

13. So there's a method to your madness!

:)

14. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    Yeah.... I just sold the companion '92 Jazz Bass Plus But I'd kind of like to keep the P I had never seen one 'till I bought this one. It's like the transition version of the contemporary Am. P-Bass Deluxe (which I have too) I just did a Warmoth 5 string build and I needed some $$ to pay it off.. I was "told" that I didn't need to have "so many Basses"

15. I remember the days when I was "told" what I could and could not have. I always responded with "When you get down to two pair of shoes and two purses, then we can talk about how many _____ I have."

16. Fortunately, she found the way out the door twenty years ago this June.

17. capnhank

capnhank

Mar 5, 2007
    Campbell, CA
    Yeah, I was gonna ask how that worked out... :)