1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please tell me what I need.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vmabus, May 2, 2015.

1. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Got a small bonus from unused vacation, and I'm applying it toward a new rig.
    So far:
    Crown XLS1500
    Sansamp VT
    Korg tuner
    RackRider power conditioner
    I found a nice shallow (12") 6U rack, but I only need 5. What should I get to fill the other 1U space?
    (Used is preferred; it wasn't that big a bonus.)
    Thanx!

2. Aguilar Agro rackmount?
    SWR Grand Prix?

(obviously I'm biased in favour of overdrive)

I guess it depends upon what you would want. Some people will probably say a compressor of some sort. You can get different modulation effects too. But if it was me, I'd be choosing dirt. :D

3. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The Rack Rider power conditionner does not do much. You could just use an isolated ground power bar, then you have two free rack units of space. That lets you then get a rackmount Meatsmoke Pre.

Seriously though, what about a used Demeter or alembic tube pre? Or a wounded Paw Pre (the multiband OD one... hmmmmm....)

Bubby Brown and blindrabbit like this.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A small drawer, or face plate. (read- just because you have 6 spaces, doesn't mean you have to fill them all)

bassbrad likes this.
  5. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    A drawer is also a great idea. Or a sliding shelf...

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Drawers and shelves are heavier than they seem so if weight is an issue I'd skip it.

Personally I'd leave it blank until you figure out if you actually need something.

Actually, I'd consider going down to 4U and skipping the power conditioner unless you really want a set of lights.

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    Thank you for the suggestions!
    I decided on a used TC Electronics M350 because it has knobs. I hate to have to reprogram if the room sounds funny.
    I'll post my impressions when I've had a chance to play, I mean work with it.

8. Why not a DBX 160a? Those are fantastic.

EDIT: Nevermind! You decided. Hope you enjoy that. TCE is a great company.

9. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I had a MarkBass Compressore, and due to my playing technique, it never had any work to do. :cool:
    I had in mind some reverb and/or chorus, so I think this will fill the bill.

10. I have a somewhat similar setup. I use the sans amp RBI into the same power amp. A furman pl8 to top out my 4 space rack. I have a pedal train mini with 5 pedals and 2 more pedals inside the Back of the rack. So Id reccomend a smaller rack.

I used to have a much bigger rack(16u) But it wouldn't fit in my current vehicle and When I got the crown which is super light I wanted my setup to take advantage of that instead of putting a lightweight power amp in a heavy rack. Which would somewhat defeat the purpose of a lightweight amp.

So I started replacing units with pedal form. Rack wireless was replaced by pedal wireless. I'm now using the shure glxd wireless which also has a great tuner so I also sold my korg rack tuner as well, my compressor is on the pedalboard now instead of my rack, inside the back of my rack I have a BBE sonic stomp instead of a sonic maximizer rack. Also because Im now using a pedal board I didn't need the shelf, and I had a 4 space rack drawer which has been replaced by the storage pouches on the rack bag and the pedaltrain mini case.

vmabus likes this.
  11. If you want both reverb and chorus in one pedal check out the Hardwire reverbs the rv7 and the supernatural. They both are reverb pedals but include modulated setting that works great as a chorus

vmabus likes this.