Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please tell me why I feel like I have to act as walking rock'n'roll-dictionary...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mann, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mann

mann

Jul 2, 2005
    Denmark
    Please tell me why I feel like I have to act as walking rock'n'roll-dictionary, and if I can't, I'm not a TRUUUE music fan.. And... Do I have to be able to give a convincing description of everything I like about a particular song, album or artist to justify listening to the music?

Heh, no seriously.. I find that I sometimes involve others' opinion about music a little too much in my own exploration of the musical universe. Maybe it's because i haven't enjoyed music since i was 4 or something, but I guess I'm right in asuming that you have to slowly develop your own taste, and realize that it's bound to be different from that of others'.

Would be exciting to hear some views on this topic...

2. To answer your first question: No. You do not have to be knowledgeable about music, or music history to prove you like a certain type of music.

Who says you do?

To address your assumption: Instead of the word, "develop," I'd use the word, "expand" one's musical tastes. As soon as you tune a radio to a station you like, that is your musical taste. ;) As you live and are exposed to more and different types of music, you'll know when you hear something you like.

I like almost all Jazz and Country & Western. (to name two genres) I have friends that love Jazz, but can't stand C&W, and friends who feel the opposite.

There's no right or wrong, just preference.

That's my spin.

Mike ;)

3. mann

mann

Jul 2, 2005
    Denmark
    Ah, so one day I'll experience "love at first sight"? I mean, I do have taken a liking to the genre of rock/metal, but I would be more than naive to claim that I feel atracted to all - even higly recognized- names of this genre. Is it a good idea to start with the most mainstream records of given artists, and then "work" my way around?

Anyway, think I'm gonna buy myself some proper hi-fi equipment and start actually appreciating the finesses of recorded sound. :D

4. mann

mann

Jul 2, 2005
    Denmark
    And by the way.. Don't get the impression that I'm eager to proove to others that I like music ;).. Was just attempting a more or less sarcastic implication that some people really do seem to make a virtue of their love to music, thus making me feel dumb that I ain't as "open" to music as they are.
    But wait! It's probably just me being paranoid again :eek:

5. What has 9 arms and sucks?

DEF LEPPARD (I hope it is spelt correctly)

I was made fun of at work because I play bass and didn't know that the drummer of def leppard had one arm. Man if they suck, why would I care?

6. mann

mann

Jul 2, 2005
    Denmark
    That was really helpful mr. antipop! :p