Please tell me you watched the Grammy's!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm watching 'em right far, the awards (like usual) have been a farce, but they've made some extremely cool nods towards funk tonight. Lifetime achievement award to the Funk Brothers, presented by BB King. Two big jazzers won awards, a surprisngly good performance by Justin Timberlake with this fantastic trumpeter. They're doing this series of awesome performances, started off by Earth Wind and Fire, seconded by the Family Man and Randolf something (played one hell of a mean lapsteel, never thought I'd see anyone do a solo on one of those!), and now P-Funk's putting on one hell of a show, Bootsy in the front with his awesome five-j pup signature bass and all. An impressive showing!

Also noteworthy events were the President's Award to the Beatles, and Chick Corea performance up next!
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i could of sworn that i saw marcus miller playing with alicia (sp?) keys (sp?)???

BTW, that fantastice trumpeter is Arturo Sandoval.
  3. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, the funk segment was good stuff... I'm lucky enough to be watching in Dolby 5.1 surround sound... the only way to actually hear the bass :p Did you catch Verdine White and Bootsy jamming out with George Clinton? Real tight.

Arturo Sandoval used to be a great trumpeter, his older stuff is top notch... he should have retired 10 years ago, but we can't fault him fro doing what he loves.. I don't know what the deal was with Justin Timberlake playing Fender Rhodes.. was he actually playing? At one point he was clearly faking it. shameful.

even more shameful though: best male pop vocalist...

Sting: Great musician, writes his own music, sings his own songs, handpicks his own musicians. (great performance by sting tonight, btw!)

Michael MacDonald: Great musician, writes his own music, sings his own songs, handpicks his own musicians.. and talk about an amazing voice!

George Harrison: Great musician, writes his own music, sings his own songs, handpicks his own musicians.

Justin Timberlake: performs music written by producers, aimed at 13 year old girls. overprocessed vocals, overproduced recordings. musicians? I wonder if he knows any. but he's oh-so-pretty!

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Amazing band!
  5. Anyone know what year Sting's fender was? It looked very old and "Jaco-ish."
  6. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC

1959 Fender P-bass, I believe.
  7. It looks like Sting's '54 lost it's pickguard! I was wondering what that era P-Bass would look like rear-loaded--pretty cool!
    Great Madonna intro!

I got home too late to see His Royal Badness AND the Beatles thing with Sting, Dave Matthews, Pharrell and Vince Gill; how was it?

The funk thing was pretty cool, BOOTSY!!! Robert Randolph kicks ass, I gotta buy that CD--great bassist too! It was nice seeing Verdine also.

I would have liked a longer, career spanning tribute to Warren Zevon--but I'm biased because he was a hero of mine.

I can't believe Yoko almost made me cry!

EDIT/PS I know they aren't that popular on this board, but I thought White Stripes had an incredible performance!! WOW!
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Well, swear no more. That was Marcus with Alicia Keys. Not surprising, given that he collaborated with Luther Vandross on most of Luther's early big hits (the segment was a salute to Luther Vandross). Actually, I first heard of Marcus when he was with Luther. He still records on Luther's material, but early on he used to tour with him. It wasn't 'til later that I realized he was the guy with Miles....and Sanborn......then I got his solo stuff.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There were some good performances but I guess my take on most of them was different than some.

The thing with George Clinton and P-Funk was a big convoluted mess. P-Funk is loose but this was all over the place.

I can't recall an awards show where the sound seemed to suck as hard as this one. Robert Randolph was jamming, with a very uneven mix.

Celine Dion? I can't recall the last time I heard a tech on a live show talking on an open mic. Then the in-ear didn't work and her mic squealed.

And some of us complain about soundpeople:D

The Beatles tribute just made me appreciate them that much more. Nice try.

JT and Arturo? Pass.

Chick Corea and The Foos? Probably would've sounded better without keys;)

Other than that most performances were cool IMO.

I agree about the White Stripes.
  10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    anyone lose a titty tonight?
  11. No, but Justin made yet another mealy mouthed apology. Let it die already!

Also, Christina was wearing a dress that made her afraid she was "Going to fall out like, Janet"...

Oh, and to bring things back on topic sorta, here's a pic of Sting's 'modified' P bass...

12. The Funk brothers winning that lifetime achievement award made my night. :hyper:

I guess better late than never.

13. I watched the Grammys until after the P-funk performance, because George Clinton is a god in this household. I really thought that was cool, but I thought Bootsy and White had a good mix together. Bootsy was definitly rockin the Q-tron, and I think I might go back to using it...

I definitly liked the White Stripes performance. Yes, Meg White sucks live(She was a russian dragon for some of the performance), but thats why we have click tracks and edits in the studio ;). I think they would definitly be worth the twenty bucks to see them at Lupo's if Meg worked on her timing. I'm not asking her to be Bruford or Neil Pert, but I would like to have ONE song where she's playing at the right tempo.
    Now, with the Meg bashing aside, I really like The White Stripes. I'm listening to Elephant as I type this. I appreciate what they are doing for the record industry. I think its great that people are becoming sick of almost vocoder effected voices and so-heavily-polished-you-can-see-your-face-in-it music. I for one, love to have my music be a little rough around the edges. Not to say I love bad bands, I just like to have my music to have feeling.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I watched the show for the first time in years. Some nice lifetime achievement awards, agreed.

The pop diva stuff was OK, IMO, though Ms. Aguilera seriously needs to get over herself a little. Beyonce looked stupendous, as usual, and I enjoyed the opening thing with Prince quite a bit. But that song in the painting-like set didn't do much for me. I like Martina McBride, ever since "Independence Day." And I wish Alison Krauss had gotten a feature of her own. Sings like an angel, plays like a demon.

The Luther tribute was cool, though the sound foulups were inexcusable. I don't think I've ever seen that happen on that big a show before.

I thought the Beatles tribute was a nice idea but disappointing. Dave Matthews exhibited an, um, interesting sense of pitch on his verse, and the harmony singing was slapdash. As Brad said, it made me appreciate the Fab Four more: if you listen to those early Beatles records, the singing is tight, the attacks and releases are together, and the phrasing jells. You can't compress years of working together into an afternoon's practice, but surely these folks could have gotten together and spent an hour, or half an hour, tightening things up a little better than they did.

The Foo Fighters with Chick Corea was an interesting idea but didn't come to much IMO. I think what the band should have done was clear some space for Chick and let him go to town, rather than just have him noodle around the edges, but that didn't happen. I dunno why: maybe there wasn't time to work something out, or maybe the band lacked the flexibility to consider playing the song much differently from how they usually do.

I couldn't get the White Stripes. Just couldn't. I coulda sorta get Jack White, but the groove was so inept that it just shut the mental doors on my brain. YMMV.

I was happy to see the funk tribute. I always loved EW&F and still think Verdine White doesn't get all the props he deserves. I forget what the deal is with Maurice White; I know he hasn't been well, but at least he was out there on stage. At one point Philip Bailey reached for a high note that really was not in the place he was looking for it, but I dug the song anyway. The groove was updated and swung a little harder than the original, even. I gotta admit, I love that OutKast song that came after it, even though I'm probably too old for it. It strikes me that OutKast may be attempting to become, among other things, the 21st century P-Funk. The concluding P-Funk section didn't work for me. Clinton seemed kinda past it, and the groove never seemed to jell. Sorta ramshackle, but not in that funky a way. I think Original P does it better these days. (I think they're still around? I saw them a couple of summers ago.)

I was glad to see the Zevon mention. That song at the end nearly brought me to tears. I have his last record, as much for the story of it as for the music. I wish I could say it's a masterpiece, but I really don't think it is. However, "Keep Me in Your Heart for a While" is dead simple, utterly direct, and absolutely beautiful, IMO.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I didn't like it either.

In thinking about the celebrity pairings, I feel that with most of them, you kinda got the worst of two worlds. That is, with the time and programming constraints that were obviously in place, there was no space to wait for any magic to happen; but on the other hand, the performances weren't cohesive and compelling either. If I see that kind of pairing I want either (1) that the performers be in a situation where they get a chance to rub some sparks off each other and maybe make something happen, or (2) that they work out something, get it tight, and perform it compellingly. To me, many of the pairings failed on one or both. Just my $0.02.
  16. Inept groove? Hell, that was the one of the few parts of the show that grooved!! I loved that wild slide blues they went into part way into "Seven Nation Army"! I would much rather someone or someone's kids watch that than Justin Timberlake!!

I still can't see how people are still such snobs about Meg! God help you if you should pick up some Chess or Charly blues records from the '40's or '50's! :smug:

I was a little disappointed in the PFunk segment, especially after Robert Randolph's hairraising performance; at least until Bootsy showed up, that made up for a lot.

What I liked about the Sting/Sean Paul segment was that Sting stuck around and played some great reggae bass underneath Sean's rapping, instead of fading into the background, like a lot of his contermporaries would have. I didn't notice him wearing a kilt, I thought it was a frock coat!
    One more thing to chalk up to the fact that Sting rules! :D
  17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yep, inept is inept. Best one-word description I can think of. It's just my opinion, but I stand by it. It's not about being a snob. It's simply about my hearing something, and thinking, I really dislike what this person is playing. If you like it, that's totally cool. For me it was not close to happening. And yeah, I've heard some of those old blues records too. Still didn't make me like that particular WS performance any better. :)
  18. i dug the funk segment.

Danyel Morgan (bassist for the family band) was totally ripping, all the while singin falsetto. tell me thats not balls!

the outkast performance of hey yah was also pretty cool.
  19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    the Beatles thing was killer, New super group. Move over velvet revolver(thats never goin to happen) Beatles 2\--/.
    Sean paul, Poor poor Sting, you see his face after the song was done. It was to say"Who the hell matched us together"
    P-funk was cool to the max.
    WHITE STRIPS KICK SOME @$$!!!!! meg has big High hats if you know what I mean;).
    Christina Agul...... come on did you know boobs can be spread so for apart from each other like hers can.
    Foos always bring it.
    But coolest thing was Beoncya(sp) dove trick. That was the classyest #^*%! i have ever seen.
  20. i actually kinda liked that show, i felt bad because when Jack White started on 7 nation army, his distorted "bass" sounded better than my actual bass distorted! d'oh, the proformance was great! also to see B.B. King and Chick Corea and some of those other jazz and blues guys around, it was a breath of fresh air to not see the latest american idol pop star everywhere. also, when they screwed up with celine dion's mic, priceless. The only thing that really bothered me was the winner of the best male pop song, when Justin timberlake beat out people like george harrison and warren zevon, i mean come on. well, with those jazz and pop combo, like foo fighters and chick corea, i didn't think it sounded especially great, but i applaud the fact that someone is trying to bring actual music to the public and not clay guarini or britney aguilera or whatever their names are, there are just so many!
    well, i hope i haven't offended anyone, i may not have been very nice to the pop crowd.