Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

please try to help me... WHAT is wrong with my EHX Bass micro synth????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hey...
    I've just bought an EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer some days ago.. so..today I wanted to try it out the first time. Unfortunately something must be wrong with this damn thing.
    I plugged it between my bass and amp and then..

If it is off, the clean bass signal is normal, but if I engage it, there comes no sound out of it. If I turn everything on my bass to maximal volume and turn my Mesa 400+ at VERY high levels , I can hear a little bit of my playing, distorted and at very low volume! :bawl:

I checked the cables, the connections, the battery of the bass...

I thought, before I send it back, I ask you...
    what else can i do!

Thanks for every kind of help and information!! :smug:
    greets

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Did you read the instructions?

Check the tracking adjustment (first slider on left, it might be labelled something else).

Set the four levels (normal, octave up and down, square) to max. Set attack delay to minimum. Set the filter to sweep up, max all the sliders.

Then turn the amp volume down a bit :D

Tweak the tracking slider as you play until you hear some sound.

Hope this helps.

3. I have read the instructions, yes.. and I have done everything you mentioned above, but it seems not to help...
    The instructions say something about "Preamp Gain Adjusment"...

I edit:
    "the preamp gain in the Bass Micro Synthesizer has been set at the factory for use with a guitar equipped single-coil pickups. If you will be using another instrument with higher or lower output, it may be necessary to readjust this setting..."

but I don't think I have to do something to that, because at the store I also tried it with my Traben bass (active electronics) and everything worked fine...

this sucks...

4. several ideas;

- input and output connections transposed
    - power supply not working properly
    - power switch not switched on (is the LED lighting up?)
    - internal preamp trimpot not adjusted (or faulty)

or it's just bung!

5. ah, if it worked at the store then the chances are that there's something wrong with the setup and the unit is fine.

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    You're not the first with a dud Bass Microsynth. IIRC, another guy on the board and I both had similar problems.

7. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i have an microsynth as well. recently my filter sweep has been messed. if i set the end rate it changes but for some reason no changes when i move the starting point for the sweep.

ehx wants 15 bucks just to inspect it. it will cost me almost 15 just to ship it there. and then im sure they will say something needs to be replaced for additional money and then shipping back. i've taken it apart and cant find anything wrong with it tho.

it seems as tho the sliders arent grabbing whatever it is to slide up and down.

8. Input/Output are ok, I have the original EHX power supply and the power switch is on (yes, it lights up :smug: )

no no, at the shop they had a used Micro Synth for all those who wanted to try it out.. this one was OK, I played through it with the same bass and amp I have and everything seemed to be wonderful.
    so I got a new one, and now at home I recognize that something's not ok with this one...

whatever... thanks for all the help

9. :eyebrow:
    yeah, I will contact the store where I bought it.. the should take it back and have a look at it.

10. Yeah, I've certainly learned my lesson over the years- if I buy gear from a shop, I make them set me up right then and there for a full test before I take it home. It's only right, especially with how much "good" gear sets us back.

That being said, i've had my EHX BMS for 5 months with absolutely 0 problems.