Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Turn Off The Faucet!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TxBass, Jun 30, 2004.

1. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    wow...it just continues to rain and rain and rain and rain...you get the point.
    I'm sure some of you are in the middle of this mess too. It looks like the whole Gulf Coast has been getting soaked.

We've had over 15" for the month of June so far and it just keeps coming down. Loads of folks with downed trees/local flooding/damaged homes/closed roads/etc.

One thing I have never had to say in the summer in Texas is: Can the sun come out and scorch us please!

Hope nobody is dealing with a crisis due to all this mess. Eventually it has to stop, right? :meh:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I know what you mean, I have to run out and mow about two lines of lawn between rain showers.

brad cook

ps - By the way..a small correction...it's not almost margarita time, it's always margarita time! :bassist:

3. STFU

STFU

Jun 17, 2004
    It's rained every single day for... weeks now. Literally. :(

4. STFU

STFU

Jun 17, 2004

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Man, it takes me that long just to get the mower out. And who's got the 'ritas? I'm ready :)

Seriously though, my parents house flooded a few weeks ago, and I've had some downed limbs.

6. Illinois hasn't had rain in a few weeks. Where's those seattle and UK-based users when you want to talk about rain? :smug:

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my studio has five leaks in the roof - i went home during lunch to let Jaco out for a pee break and went back to the studio to play a few notes the upright - 4 leaks on the ceiling and one that had water going down one of the walls. this was heart breaking! my little lady got on the roof in the hard rain to tarp it. she said i'm to heavy to get on the roof (245lbs.), so i helped her with getting the bricks and tarp up there for her - what a woman! i would be a lost soul without her!

i had just rewired my studio stuff the other night. what a drag, now that i'm gigless, i have time to arrange tunes for a group that a friend and i are starting. if it's not one thing, it's another.

we are going to get in touch with the insurance people to see what will be done.

:(

the worst part is that this rain isn't going to stop until next monday down in San Antonio. what a drag.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It hasn't rained in Seattle in weeks, it's been sunny, warm and at times down right hot.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    …and by the way - I've lived pretty much the same area for my entire life (I'm nearly 30) and over the last few years, I have become convinced that I have been observing an appreciable climate change, particularly in the summer months. Western Washington summers are getting longer, hotter, and dryer. When it first became noticeable, the national media tried chocking it up to "El Nino", but I think that is a load of B.S. - I truly believe that I have seen noticeable climate changes due to global warming over the last 20 or so years. People tend to think I'm a crack pot when I talk about this, but they taught us about global warming in grade school over 20 years ago and pretty much told us to expect to see it over the course of our lives. My scientist friend says that global warming is a given - that the earth has been on a gradual warming trend ever since the last ice age and of course it just continues. I'm convinced that Western Washington is a warmer dryer place than it was 20 years ago (or even 10) and I believe that unusual weather other places (lots of rain in Texas) is also the result of climate changes due to global warming. Is it just this year, or have you Texas guys seen extra rain the last few years also?
    (go ahead, call me a crack pot - I know you want to.)

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    it sure seems like that to me too.

NJL...hope it stops for you down there---and what a great gal fixing the roof! Water/rain is so destructive when it gets to this level and has no place to go. I've got all my doors tarped on the back of the house and just hoping the yard drains....and oh by the way I'm in the middle of selling my house and trying to not have anything happen prior to a closing.

now where's my rubber ducky anyhow? ;)

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you know, thanks for my new short term solution!!!!!!!!!! when you are down, you just don't think right!!! today after work, i'm going to go get some more tarp and just tarp the whole room (it was an add-on) - at least this way i can get my gear in there and get back to work!!

it's amazing how such simple things can't get thought of when you are really, really bummed!

now i feel really goofy! :D

you just made my week! i'm buying you a beer sometime!

12. send some of that rain back here to San Diego!! we're in a huge freakin drought that's been going on for years now... it's not sweltering hot or anything like that, but brush fires are gonna be blazin soon...

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, if it's been going on for years, I wouldn't expect it to change back to how it used to be ever. This is the new climate for that area. Trends will continue. Global warming is quite real. :meh:

14. no kidding. it's been getting wierder and wierder here.. we had 90 degree temps on New Years Day last year ('03 not '04, on the beach throwin horseshoes, gotta love that).. It's real hard to be a weatherman here in SD.

"morning low clouds, clearing in the afternoon. low 70's at the beaches and mid 80's inland" ... this is the forecast from say May until Mid-August and then we heat up.... slightly... :rolleyes:

15. STFU

STFU

Jun 17, 2004
    I don't think the fact of global warming is in question so much as the question of whether human factors are responsible... so no crack pot cracks here! ;)

Last year or two this area suffered an unusually DRY summer. Back in the early 90's the Austin area went something like 100 days without rain - very different from this year. So if things are warming, the effect on precipitaion doesn't translate into a consistent trend, necessarily.

My sense (not looking at any statistics) is that around here the summers haven't gotten warmer so much as the winters have...

16. miserable music and rain being fundamentally linked :meh:

in london it's been dry for a few days now.

no doubt there's a torrential rainstorm just round the corner to join us all together in suffering.... :bawl:

there's been some very unsettled weather about a month ago- one minute bright sunshine, the next very heavy rain with hailstones.

hence I voted for the Green party in the vain hope that global warming can be controlled.

17. whats a mock turtle regulator? :eyebrow:

18. -a corruption of "mock forum regular".

19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    If global warming were not meant to be happening, we'd still be in an ice age.

20. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    wow! glad to have inadvertantly helped! maybe it's my obsession with Mother Nature's destructive power :smug: ...but I bought a bunch of those cheapo blue tarps a few years ago when we had a scary amount of rain and they seem to come in handy for all sorts of stuff.

and I'd be glad to drink a beer wit ya! Shiner Summer Stock? :hyper: