1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please vote to help me chose another GK NEO or Avatar NEO cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rappa29, Feb 18, 2008.

1. GK NEO 210

4.8%
  2. GK NEO 212

22.9%
  3. GK NEO 410

9.5%
  4. Avatar NEO 212

23.8%
  5. Avatar NEO 410

11.4%
  6. Current Rig is sufficient PA or no PA

5.7%
  7. Don't add cab. Upgrade head to GK1001RBII

5.7%
  8. Carmalized carrots

16.2%
  1. Okay, generally, I hate doing polls or asking these types of questions because I like to think that I know what I'm doing and can make the right decision for myself. I’ve searched the threads extensively and haven’t come up with enough testimonials to make a clear cut choice on my own. This time I need help from my fellow TBers!

The details:

Head: GK700RBII
    Cabs: Avatar NEO B210, GK NEO 112, both 8ohm.
    Basses: Lakland 44-02, Kubicki ExFactor (FCS), MIM Fender Precision
    Genre: Mostly rock (new, classic, southern, indie, mellow, acoustic\electric, originals\covers)

The Avatar and GK sound great together! I’ve never pushed it as hard as it can handle b\c I've always had the luxury of full PA support.

However, I want my rig to be able to handle gigs without full PA support.

For certain, I’m going with either another Avatar NEO or another GK NEO. Primarily because of familiarity with these products and the way these 2 specific models ended up sounding together. Price is not a major factor considering after you add tolex and shipping to the Avatar it's close enough to RMC Audio but I lose the Biamp functionality.

Created my current rig unheard (bought both cabs on TB used). I lucked out and on a whim thought the GK NEO 112 in Biamp mode, paired with the Avatar NEO B210 would give me a nice blend of ‘modern’ and ‘classic’ sound. I guessed right and love it! Now I want to add a cab for use when PA is not an option and still retain the great sound I’m getting out of marrying these 2 brands\models.

My dilemma is which brand\model do I get to support either cab that I already have and try to strike gold by mix\matching the 2 brands again but with more power!

Once again I’m going on a whim b\c there’s no way to try these out in person because there are ZERO GK NEO cabs to be found at my local GC, Sam Ash, mom and pop, etc. Actually, one GC has the NEO 410. I just haven’t been motivated to go check it out. And the only Avatar I know of in my area is the one in my house!

Please help me narrow down my options by voting on what you suggest is a good cab to pair up with either of my current cabs.

Again, I’m currently running an Avatar NEO B210 and GK NEO 112 (Biamp mode) with a GK700RBII. I’m looking at adding a cab to pair with either to compensate for no PA gigs.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome! TIA!

2. Best cabs with a GK head are GK cabs IMHO.

3. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
  4. Yeah, I'm not sure how updated GK's site actually is, but RMC Audio has quoted me a price on the 210 and I've seen the 410 at the local GC.

I know the 12's and 15's were the very first NEO's GK offered although I've only seen them online.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

They've just come out only recently.

But, as usual, GK is embarassingly slow with updating their website to show the new NEO 410, 210, and 115 cabs. :meh:

Getting back to the OP: definitely check out that GK NEO 410, and if you find you prefer the tone of your NEO 112, then step up to the NEO 212 - it's my weapon of choice for loud rock, punk, and metal. :bassist:

6. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i voted for the avatar 212.....i use mine with 112neo...i push the 112 with an eden wtx260 and the 212 with a peavey tour 450.....will rearrange pictures on the wall....cant imagine a gig i cant handle with this setup...good luck....:D

7. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    I voted Avatar 212, got one, love it.
    But it looks like you've got a killer rig already.

8. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    do you see where we're going with this??.....avatar 212neo.....will not be disappointed......:bassist:

9. LOL! Yeah, I've noticed that the Avatar is ahead in the poll!

I've definitely been very happy with my B210!

10. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    if you like the 210 youll love the 212

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Your current rig is probably sufficient, but since when has necessity been the mother of GAS?

Thus, I voted G-K Neo212. You already like the G-K Neo12/Avatar blend, and it's bound to sound great when paired with the other G-K cab, so you'll have lots of flexibility. With your Avatar 210, I think a 212 would sound more interesting than a 410, and it will be a better standalone than either of your current cabs. But I'd also consider a Neo115. That could be really interesting, as you'd have a 15" tone in your mix of cabs.

Oh yeah, while you're at it, get the 1001RB-II. :bassist:

12. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

I voted Avatar 212 neo. You didn't mention what types of music you are playing or what type of sound you're after. Where you already have 10's the 212's should fill out the lower end nicely

13. IMO, I think the GK212 is one of the best sounding cabs I've played thru.

GK 212 paired with the 112 and it would rock.

14. Dude, you're gear is pretty close to mine and I love the sound and tone of my GK 700rbII going through an Avatar 212 so that gets my vote. I play rock and jazz.

15. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I play an Avatar 212 through a GK 800RB and (as I said in a previous thread) it sounds like creamy Bailey's (which is good). Also they're dubiously light!

16. Thanks to all for voting and for those that posted comments!

I think I'm going to go with a 2x12. Still deciding on which brand but feel good that I won't go wrong with either!

Can someone tell me how to close the poll?

17. Sweet! You won't be disappointed, but for some reason you are, send it my way. I'll buy it from ya!

18. i live in clw. and have an avatar 2-12 ,4ohm, line-x neo cab. e-mail me @ barndog@tampabay.rr.com

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    A) The original post is almost two years old. :D

B) These kinds of posts aren't allowed in the Amps forum. There is a "For Sale" forum for that here.

20. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Love my GK Neo 212 and can't get enough of it. Currenlty trying to decide between adding the 112 or the 115 myself.