Please Weigh In - Fender TBP-1 vs Yamaha PB-1 - Which is Better and Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

I've owned the Yam PB-1 in the past and am now sorry that I sold it. One of the best sounding preamps (for my style) that I've ever owned. Sounds SOOOO good! I noticed that the Fender TBP-1 is VERY similar in terms of layout, features, EQ, etc...

Although the Fender has more features to offer, I'm wondering how similar tone-wise they are? Both appear to use the Fender EQ stack.

Those of you that have used both, please weigh in.

Also, I'm curious on something about the Fender. If the overdrive circuit is enabled, is that present in the DI output if pre-EQ is selected?

Thanks so much!

wave rider likes this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've not used the Yamaha, so I can't comment there, but I did own a TBP-1 for a while. It's a great preamp as long as your tone goals are more vintage than modern, and you can deal with the Fender tone stack. I don't recall specifically about the overdrive and a pre-EQ DI setting. My guess is that it would make through to the DI as it's a part of the gain staging and the EQ comes later. Is there a block diagram in the manual?

Quadzilla likes this.
  3. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I've had both. Not at the same time. I have a TB1200 which has what i believe to be a TBP1 preamp in its front end.
    The one thing that i don't like about the TBP1 is the BMT controls really don't do that much variations to tone if the MID control is up past 1/2 or 12 o'clock.

I know it is a Fender Tone stack Literally. But so is my Alembic F2B.
    The Alembic F2B gives you TREBLE when you want Treble, and BASS When you want bass and MIDS when you want mids.
    I am very aware of how these tone controls react with one another.
    I just don't like how the TBP1 seems to not do much at all unless eth Mid control is below 11 oclock or so.. The VARI MID is very handy though.
    Might have better luck with a BBE B amx

The Yamaha was great. Wish i never sold it. tonally , It is a Little STIFF feeling If I remember correctly and not as open up top the way my Alembic F2b or old Vintech X73 are.. But all the Tone controls work fully and smoothly and the Mid Semi Para is great.
    If i had to choose I would get teh Yamaha

Quadzilla likes this.
  4. Quadzilla

Great info! Thank you!

svtb15 likes this.
  5. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    If you select PRE EQ on the DI.. It is straight off your Bass INPUT.. I should double check to be sure. But i have run the DI out on my TB1200 and always ran it PRE EQ and what i changed on the amp had no change to the FOH.
    Not sure if the TBP1 has the FOOT switch. But my TB1200 has a FW that has a built in Tuner. Its pretty handy and its been accurate enough for RnR.. .Not as accurate as my peterson.. But nothing anyone would notice

6. Quadzilla

Thanks so much!

svtb15 likes this.
  7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    When I owned mine way back in 2004-2005 it did not come with a footswitch that I can recall. It might have, but if it did it CERTAINLY didn't have the built-in tuner like you're describing.

svtb15 likes this.
  8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    yeah.. I wasn't sure if the stand alone preamp alone had the built in Tuner. My TB1200 has a 4 way footswitch.. It controls MUTE, PARA EQ on/ off, OD Channel and BOOST... the MUTE function engages the Tuner in the Pedal...
    It all works with a simple standard 1/4" guitar cable too.

9. Quadzilla

Anyone else?

10. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    Not to be that guy, but I've had a Yamaha for about 12 years now and only taken it serious for the last 7 or 8 years, I really picture "Ampeg" when I play through it and have always enjoyed it. I currently have a TBP-1 on the way so I can get back to you when I get a chance with that.

But seriously, Yamaha PB-1's go for less than $200, just go for it!

11. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I think it was probably sorted out in 2017 based on the previous post date.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021