1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pleased (but confused) about jazz soloing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by uethanian, Jul 15, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i had a bass lesson today, and we were working on jazz soloing (on "there will never be another you") and something good happened. i forced myself to stay above the 12th fret, which i was previously very uncomfortable doing, and my solo was jamming! i mean, not fantastic...but compared to what i could do before, it was great. now, i haven't spent a lot of time beyond 12th, so i don't always know what notes i'm playing, but everything is within easy reach and arpeggiated patterns are easy enough, so i just use my ear and it works out.

BUT i cant solo for beans down the neck. its like...i know without thinking what all the notes are, but i just hit a block. and the middle of the neck is when it gets REALLY bad. i get completely lost. can anyone relate to this? can anyone solo great around one part of the neck but not at all around the other?

2. Martin Bormann

Martin Bormann

Sep 20, 2007

Make up some exercises where you go all over the neck.

3. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    It just mean's you don't know you're neck down cold. When you're above the 12th fret, the patterns of notes repeat from the bottom, and when you're playing basslines you're towards the bottom of the neck, so presumably you know your way around down there. Fortunately, the solution is simple, practice in the middle register a lot and get really comfortable with note names and placements. It'll come to you, don't worry.

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Pretty much that's it. They are the same notes, just a little closer on that part of the fretboard.

Letting yourself go, "Use the Force Luke" is the real trick after you have the technique down. Its all about fun!!:hyper:

5. First, learn the names of the notes...everywhere on the fretboard.

Then, when you discover a lick, pattern, solo, etc. that you like and are comfortable with in one position, force yourself to learn it in other octaves or in other keys in various positions on the neck.

6. bainpent

bainpent

May 11, 2008
    New Orleans
    i can't really solo for beans in the lower parts of the neck either; i always figured it was because i wasn't hearing the notes down there. i remember reading in the Miles Davis autobiography that for a long time he never played high notes because he never heard them in his solos. maybe this is heretical, but even as a bass player, i hear solos higher up than my basslines.

the other day i bought a digitech whammy pedal, and tried turning it on during my solos. it worked amazingly! and i could hear everything coming out in the octave it was playing in my head. i've only heard of a couple people doing this (reid mathis, for one), but i can play all the stuff down low on the neck where i know the notes, and it comes out really high. pretty cool.

7. latkingz781

latkingz781

Apr 26, 2008
    how long have you been playing for?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021