1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pleased w/ Avatar sales/service

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmanyea, Jul 7, 2002.

1. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I recently ordered an avatar b210 cabinet from Dave at Avatar which he shipped out promptly. I got the cab a few days later. It was packed well and checked out good visually. All components seemed of very high quality, even a tag w/ Eminence logo stating genuine drivers. The build quality of the cab itself was very good and the fostex tweeter looked very chunky. If I had to have one "complaint" it would be that the carpet covering could have been a bit thicker, but I would rather have crucial components be top class, and I'm certainly not going to complain for the price I paid. I was eager to hear it so I hooked it up to my GK800rb and my Steve Harris p-bass. I was immediately impressed by the clarity of the cab, this having been the first cab with a tweeter I've ever owned, and the first with other than 15's. (I know, old skool) Anyway, now for the service issue. After I got over the cool tweeter thing I noticed one of the 10" drivers was sounding great and the other was sounding kind of flabby w/ a kind of rattle in it. I tried to isolate the sound thinking it may be the grill or wires within the cab. A sound engineer friend of mine confirmed that it was a voice coil rubbing, possibly bad quality control on the part of Eminence. I contacted Dave via e-mail expecting to either have to send the entire cab back for replacement or at very least pulling the bad driver out and sending it back, then waiting for a replacement. Dave says he'll send a new 10" right out, no need to send the bad one back. Pretty cool, huh. Try that with Musician's Friend. Anyway, I think that kind of service is kinda rare these days and is worthy of note. If anyone is sitting on the fence of whether or not to take a chance on saving a bunch of $ on Avatar, between the trial period and the good service/ quality product, go for it.