Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plectrum

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kwelch28, Jul 9, 2001.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    What is a plectrum and where can I buy one, and what is it used for?

2. plectrum = pick

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The term "plectrum" is often used by English players. In the US, "pick" is the favored term.

Any place that sells guitars will have them. Electric guitar players depend on them. Just ask to see a store's picks and they'll probably, IME, pull out a box with many compartments full of picks of different sizes and thicknesses.

Although I've been using fingerstyle almost all the time for years, using a pick is a totally valid technique. It produces a more consistent tone than fingerstyle and is very good for hard, aggressive playing, a la punk and metal.

IMO, Herco makes the best for bass. Unbreakable yet flexible, (depending on the thickness you select.
    Dunlops are good, too.

4. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I saw Peter Gabriel on SNL a while ago, and his bassist had theses rubber things on his two fingers, and was hitting the strings with them, does anyone know what those are?

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Those are called Funk Fingers... they were invented by Tony Levin (bassist for PG among MANY others) and his bass tech... I think you can find the story on www.tonylevin.com somewhere.

They are sawed-off drumsticks with rubber tips, and you strap them to your fingers with some elastic velcro.

TL used to sell them on his website, but I think he stopped a while ago. I bought a pair a few years back; they're hard to get the hang of, but they make it really easy to do fast runs (the rubber really bounces on the strings).

I recently saw the California Guitar Trio with TL, and they did an AMAZING version of Yes's "Heart of the Sunrise" -- instrumental, arranged for three acoustic guitars and electric bass. TL used the Funk Fingers for the really fast riffs.... VERY cool!!! :cool: