Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PLEEASE HELP ME>>>>whats with my tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Sep 17, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i just got my avatar 4x10. its the first cab i've ever owned but just out of the box the tweeter makes this werid ringing noise whenever i play a mid to high note. is this common or is there something wrong. i would just turn the tweeter off but ive heard taht it is not good for the amp. iis this true?
    pgk

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, first of all, if the tweeter has a control on it to switch it off (or to just simply attentuate it), then it will not harm the amp. Almost all speaker cabinents that have tweeters have a knob on the back specifically for the purpose of adjusting the amount of tweeter - including none - to your like.

Secondly, does the tweeter make the odd noises all the time while playing those certain notes, or just occasionally/sporadically? Tweeters can be quite harsh sounding depending upon the model, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's just how that particular tweeter sounds - in that case, try using the l-pad on the back of the cabinent to adjust it to a lower level (the l-pad is the knob to attentuate the tweeter). However, someone with more Avatar experience than me might know more of how it's supposed to sound. Who knows - perhaps it is defective after all?