1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PLEEASE HELP ME>>>>whats with my tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Sep 17, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i just got my avatar 4x10. its the first cab i've ever owned but just out of the box the tweeter makes this werid ringing noise whenever i play a mid to high note. is this common or is there something wrong. i would just turn the tweeter off but ive heard taht it is not good for the amp. iis this true?
    pgk

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, first of all, if the tweeter has a control on it to switch it off (or to just simply attentuate it), then it will not harm the amp. Almost all speaker cabinents that have tweeters have a knob on the back specifically for the purpose of adjusting the amount of tweeter - including none - to your like.

Secondly, does the tweeter make the odd noises all the time while playing those certain notes, or just occasionally/sporadically? Tweeters can be quite harsh sounding depending upon the model, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's just how that particular tweeter sounds - in that case, try using the l-pad on the back of the cabinent to adjust it to a lower level (the l-pad is the knob to attentuate the tweeter). However, someone with more Avatar experience than me might know more of how it's supposed to sound. Who knows - perhaps it is defective after all?