1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pleeeeease critique my Loop Composition

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by phippsyg, Aug 11, 2007.

1. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Have decided I want to get out and gig as a solo bassist and the loop thing seems to be the most entertaining and easy way to do so. Would really really appreciate it if you could listen to my attmpt at this so far, click the myspace link below and the track will play. Bit rough at the moment, will polish it up once I have suggestions and feedback. I guess what I'm after is suggestions to make this entertaining enough for people to want to sit and listen to it. Any feedback good or bad would be really appreciated and utilised. Thanks heaps.

2. I like it. Kept me entertained the whole time. As for suggestions as to how to make it better, I don't know man. Maybe throw in a few more low notes.

3. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks for that suggestion. The loop it starts with is meant to be the bassline but it gets lost a little doesn't it. Guess I need to find a good way of adjusting volume on the fly (I think you can do this with the boomerang?). Will look at ways to incorporate your idea. Thanks very much.

4. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Is there any guitar in that passage? Or is it 100% bass? The reason I ask is because the chord part sounds a bit guitar-like. And I thought it was cool.

5. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks. Is all bass loops. Played on my Alembic tuned e-c. Put a little bit of overdrive on a couple of parts to break up the sounds. wrote and recorded this the same day and listening to it a few more times it doesn't really sound like a "piece" to me, kind of sound like me laying down some cool loops and mucking around (which is what it is). Any suggestions to make it more of a piece as such. Would love the guys who run this forum to get on here and have a look :)

6. Sounds good man.

My advice:
    -Try different pickups for different parts (neck pup for "bass" line, bridge pup for chords, blend pup for solo...) It'll really set the parts apart, and amaze people even more with the variety. Assuming you're not playing a single pup model.

-A little chorus goes a long way. Having even a heavy chorus effect on some parts will really fatten things up. The OD helps a lot with that also. I would be careful with delays and reverbs, they tend to muddy things up if it's a busy track, like that one. Sub-octavers are cool too for a groove line.

Thats my 0.02 $. Proper effects, pick ups, and techniques (dare I say PICK....) really make one person with one bass sound like an orchestra.

Keep it up bro. I'd love to be doing the same, but not enough hours in a day......

Subscribed ;)

7. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks for the advice. I have a chorus pedal here and didn't even use it!
    The pickup idea is one I'll defineately try when I redo it.

I actually did use a cough coughpick cough for the third part that comes in. I only used it because a student left it behind and it made heaps of dufference to that part. Good advice, really want to make it sound like a lot of instruments like you say.

Really do want to know if it sucks though. Would rather get advice and polish it up than bore people to death on a gig. Really want to have a go at gigging and stuff as a solo artist so be brutal if you have to, I can take it!
    Thanks

8. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    It's very "guitarish"

IMHO, parts 2 and 3 would sound better played on a guitar.

I like the main bass groove, but the time is slightly off.

9. I dig it, a lot. I'd watch that all night.

10. Was definitely entertaining, but if you wanna layer a number of different parts, as someone previously suggested, try using different tones for them. It'll help distinguish them. They do get kinda lost in the mix.

11. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks guys. The advice about the making the tones more distinctive is one to alter for sure.

Middy your right, the groove isn't sitting well, would brush this up for sure. Layed it down pretty rough, just kind of came up with it and recorded. As far as parts 2 & 3 on guitar it would sound better but am trying to have something I can perform live as a bassist (not to dismiss your advice though). Would love to have a band dedicated to playing my tunes but it seems hard to convince people to play "bass" tunes.
    Thanks for the advice guys, am takling it all onboard.

12. Not a bad effort at all... I'd echo the sentiment to vary the tone for each part to give more separation between the bass and chords. Listening to it for the first time I thought the initial solo was very (too) busy. It does sound a bit like you're just mucking around without too much thought of where you're going. I did like the ending though. There are some really nice ideas in there, but it would be good to think about the structure of the tune - can you pull it apart and play each bit separately? That way you ought to be able to put it all back together again (remix!) in whatever way seems sensible. When it comes to the solo, I think less is more... But that's just my 2p worth. Instead of just mashing the strings, try playing a phrase and then repeating with embellishment. At least it would get you thinking about the phrasing, timing etc. while you're doing it.

Good start though!

13. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I enjoyed your tune, phippsyg. Thanks for giving us a listen. Creating development and narrative is one of the biggest challenges in doing loop based music. Some looping devices allow you to create a few different sections so that you can build compositions in a relatively conventional song-form style. In non-sectional repetitive music (does that qualify as a sub-genre?) many composers use changes in timbre, dynamics, phrasing, density, focus and/or melodic line to create flow. I hate to sound like a broken record, but lots of creative listening to the kind of music you admire is always a good bet.

14. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Thanks so much for listening and the response. I really appreciate it and it means a great deal to have you say you enjoyed the tune. I had actually forgot about this thread until I saw it in the new posts. Since posting this thread this composition has changed quite a lot and am excited about where my loop based comps are heading. (Will update Myspace and stuff when have it all happening) It's just a matter now of finding hardware that I'm happy with, (waiting to see if the new electrix repeater is ever released) unless I continue with the non-sectional repetitive music genre!
    Thanks again, good luck with your beautiful music,
    Glenn.