PLEK My Nut - P Bass Cutting Video Hot Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Last month I received my 2021 P from Fender Mod Shop that checked all the boxes but the nut had some issues causing a buzz that couldn't be resolved with adjustments. I took my handle to Straight Frets here in Austin and they cut a new nut on their PLEK. Here is the video of the process along with finished headshot.

upload_2021-2-24_10-50-48.png

ShawnG likes this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    What material was used for the nut?

BTW, The video won't run for me.

3. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Bone nut.
    Sorry, it's Google, not YouTube. Not sure if that matters.

Here's a still of a string slot being cut:
    upload_2021-2-24_15-53-25.png

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I asked about the nut material because I was concerned that there may be some chipping and fracturing at the slots - maybe it's just reflections in the pic.

5. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Gotcha. No. It’s quite a nicely finished job. He’s a very competent luthier so I doubt anything like that would get past him.

6. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Did the shop do any hand filing after it came off the machine?

7. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I don't know. Probably. Straight is the guy touring pros use when they pass through Austin. Whatever he does is going to be well done.

8. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I saw what you mean. Yes, that's a reflection of some kind. It's also not perfectly uniform color when I look really close.

9. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

A good tech is a good thing. ;)

Killing Floor likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Agree. A good tech can make me feel like less of an idiot if I jack something up. They're backed in a corner, they can't laugh at me because they want me to come back. I can intonate a bass or guitar or do basic neck adjustments and electronics. But accurate tooling or files or anything with a saw, no way. I'm sure like anything practice and the right tools would fix that. And unlike my car, or the last time I took a bass to GC (the first and last time) when I go to these guys it always comes back better.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021