1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plethora of weirdness - NBD/OBD with "name those parts" included...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by covermego, Nov 7, 2018.

1. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    I just took delivery of this bass. I saw it for sale and just had to have it, in order to dissect it and try and get the parts to tell a story. I'm baffeled, bewildered, humored and more. I thought the body was a Charvel 1B, but the tone control (which has been removed and covered over, lol) is in-line with the volume......Scratch that. Psychadelic paint job gives me flashbacks. I see some nice grain underneath ..... The hippie paint will be removed soon, I hope.
    Bass, less strings, weighed in at 7lb 14oz. Long scale.
    I thought the neck was cut to resemble a Tele shape, but it looks manufactured that way. It had to have been added later, as the heel has been shaved about 1/16" shorter..... and the heel looks to have been originally rounded, as opposed to the old Fender square heels. Width is 2.42" (heel and pocket), so that's another mystery. Strange .....The Grover-type tuners (dunno if they're real or not..... no ID on them) look to be the only ones ever mounted , since the countersunk holes are the only ones back there. Cross-type truss nut at heel, which turns nicely.
    Pickup looks to be DiMarzio, but I've never dissected one of them......
    A real cool feature is whoever mounted the pickups utilized cigarette butts as padding, along with a bit of foam. Don't smell to be "used"..... good deal.
    Jackson Bridge....... although it appears there have been others on there.... or a mute or something.....
    This'll take a while to check out. Please, please...... feel free to chime in any thoughts / comments regarding this bass. Oh, yeah..... neck heel says Riprock or Kiprock or Hiprock and shows "86". Looks to have been written with a sharpie.
    Photos for your entertainment.

Attached Files:

2. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    More Photos..... removing some neck paint..... I know.....it was beautiful....

Attached Files:

3. Subbed. Can’t knock some free smokes on a NBD!

4. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    Absolutely killer, as you remove the butts and old paint put it in a bag and sell it on eBay as pure mojo.

I suspect it once had a 22-24 fret neck which could explain the bridge moving to a new spot for the "new" neck.

David Jayne likes this.
  5. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    WOW! Good Idea! "Mojo Profit"...... Wasn't that a name of a band in the '60's?
    And yes, it looks like the "builder" couldn't decide where he wanted the bridge, lol.... Or else he was lightening it up a bit to create neck dive.
    IMG_3296.JPG

Bugeyed Earl, Engle, bholder and 7 others like this.
  6. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    GASP!

covermego likes this.
  7. That'll take a few toothpicks to repair! LOL

8. Cool. I can smell it from here!

covermego likes this.
  9. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall when the previous owner realized the problem and spent the next three days trying to fix it. Ah, to have been there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    covermego and jackn1202 like this.
  10. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    I'm fascinated by this. I like it, too.

covermego likes this.
  11. I love how the fret tangs hang over the edge of the neck, that way you can tell which fret you're on by how bloody your hand is :woot:

12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You paid money for that? ;)

Best bass for Punk Rock! :bassist:

covermego and jamro217 like this.
  13. Zoom in and this looks like a re-enactment of the St. Valentine's Day massacre. I think the '60's band was Mason Proffit. :roflmao:

14. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    LOL.
    And yes, it was Mason Proffit. Terry and John Michael Talbot fronted the band. If you're Catholic, you'll probably know who John is.
    ==================== Moving Right Along ============================
    I have every intention of getting all the paint off, although that red is definitely the original base color and it's soaked into the grain. Should make for an interesting build. Pretty sure it's ash of some sort....... and real light. My back may make me keep this one.
    Anybody know if those are real DiMarzios? I was hoping for vintage PAF's, but I see no tag and I don't know enough about them to be able to ID them.
    And while my TalkBass bretheren are at it, if ANY of the pieces look familiar or even have a hunch as to what brand they are, please let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

15. covermego

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Yes, it gave my hands a special feeling right off. Fret dressing, here I come.....
    Funny, too, because I got another bass today and the fret sprout is even worse.....and it's only an '04 model (2004 Starcaster P-bass, complete with pointy headstock. NBD later on that one. That's another weird one)!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I believe that “hippie” paint job was just hardened sweat mixed with toe lint.

covermego and Microbass like this.
  17. May as well utilise some of those and make it a string through..

bholder, covermego and Craig T Vector like this.
  18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Thanks for sharing - looks like a fun project.

Under every layer removed, there’s another surprise! Ha!

I have a feeling that “Kiprock” or whatever it says is gonna be a good clue - hopefully someone comes along who can identify what/who it is.

(Unless it just says “RIP ROCK”, like this bass was going to singlehandedly slay rock ‘n’ roll.... in that case it coulda been written by any bassist with awful taste & high aspirations).

Def keep updating as more is revealed!

covermego likes this.
  19. There was a band in the 90s called the "Mojo Filter Kings" that I heard play around my town once at a festival, but I dont know where they were from.

BnB

covermego likes this.
  20. And LSD....

DJ Bebop and covermego like this.