Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pleurisy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ldiezman, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well after having a severe pain in my lower Right rib for two days i went to have a chest xray because the nurse at health services thought part of my lung had collapsed, i found out I had Pleurisy... again... at least my lungs didn't collapse.

this is my Second time around with Pleurisy and its pretty intense this time around. If i could describe the pain, its almost as if someone smashed me in the rib with a sledge hammer and every time I breath I wince in pain... I

So has anyone else ever delt with Pleurisy??

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

Man that sux. I have treated it many times and your case is certainly not unusual. For those that dont know, it is condition in which the pleural sac (fluid that acts as a lubicant for the lungs as you breath) is in short supply either due to inflammation or infection. When that happens, a pleural friction rub develops and causes intense pain when you take a breath.

Unfortunately there isnt much you can do, care is more supportive in nature, plenty of fluids, NSAIDS, and in some cases steroids. You can try postural splinting laying on the affected side, hugging a pillow to that side. That helps those that have had chest surgery, helps with pleurisy sometimes.

Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Mike

3. Tch that sounds pretty nasty, good luck with it!

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah its not my first time with it... may not be my last.. but it sure does hurt.. oh well.

5. PLEURISY is a symptom. There are many maladies that cause symptoms of pleurisy.

(And you probably deserve better health care by seeing a physician who will listen to you and examine you than what what we can offer here on TB.)

Feel better.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I had to take my wife in for this a few months back...she said it felt like a ton of bricks were on her chest and she couldn't breathe...I took her word for it---after 2 natural child births with no meds she has a pretty high thresh-hold for pain so I figured it was legit. that's what the Docs said it was and I had never heard of it before.

hope you feel better soon!

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No Kiddin? :smug:

Mike

8. I know exactly what you mean. I had pleurisy 30 years ago and by the time I decided I had a major problem and my wife took me to the hospital, my lung had collapsed to the size of a tennis ball. Talk about pain. My good lung was forcing itself over to the other side, putting pressure on my heart. I was in the hospital for ten days. I won't even go into the details of having a chest tube inserted into the cavity and having to keep it there for over a week. The same problem occurred again four years later. Fortunately, the condition hasn't returned since that time and I've been quite healthy.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Am I missing something? The original poster says that he HAS been to the doctor and was given a diagnosis.

Keep in mind that Mike M. doesn't just play a doctor on TV. He is one. A highly respected one on TB, I might add.

As far as I can see, Mike is only Explaining to us boneheads exactly what pleurisy is.

Harrell S.

10. Harrell,

1. Not to toot my horn but to let you know that I am more than competent:

I have my M.D., am board certified, and did my fellowship and was on the staff at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, graduated with honors from med school, etc.

2. There appears to be a misunderstandiing or miscommunication:
    Saying you have "pleurisy" is like saying "you have chest pain when you take a deep breath or a cough." Our patient knows what his symptoms are. But his post indicates that they didn't tell him what's causing it. At least we know it's not a pneumothorax or lung collapse.

So that's where I was coming from. I only meant well. You know, that "above all do no harm thing?"

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "I don't get no...." ;)

Play on! :) :bassist:

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

"In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "I don't get no...." ;)"

I have the utmost respect for you, Jim. I had no idea that you were a doctor also.

My apology for speaking (typing) too quickly. :)

Harrell S.

12. No problem Harrell. I could see your point of view. We both meant well.

Jim

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Jim, good to know you are here as well, whats your specialty?

PK is a good friend and fellow Tarhell and he meant no harm.

Mike

14. Diagnostic radiology specializing in CT, MRI, and ultrasound. I'm pretty good at breast imaging too with mammo, US, and biopsies.

Oh I know. :)

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I guess you have to be a doctor to be able to use that pickup line without getting slapped. :p

16. I was waiting for someone to take the bait on that one. :D

17. odie

odie Supporting Member

I thought you were a lumber-jack??? :p

18. MIKE,

I'm totally digging the middle line of your signature.
    :hyper: LMYAO!

Jim

19. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Man, Pleurisy is terrible. I had it last year when I had pneumonia. It was the most intense pain I ever felt. I couldnt straighten up. Any little move I made sent pain searing through me. I had a hard time breathing. I couldnt sleep, because I could barely move. As I said, any little move just sent waves of pain through my entire right side. My fiancee called an ambulance on my request. It was the first time in my life I ever requested an ambulance. That was a painfull trip. When they brought in the stretcher it was torture trying to get on it, and every frickin bump that they went over was hell. At the hospital they finally gave me morphine. I was then prescribed a pretty potent pain killer.
    I feel your pain man, good luck.

20. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

One of my favorites as well, I get living proof of it every day in the ED. Then I get your guys to get pictures as evidence. :smug:

Mike