Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by simpy1, Oct 15, 2005.

1. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Has anyone had this? It's like a stabbing pain when you breathe in (or out) too far. It comes and goes. I have it right now, for some unknown reason, which is weird. I haven't been sick and I thought you could only get it from pneumonia. Had chest x-rays and they're all normal so I guess I have to wait it out (while being on extra strength anti-inflammatories).

Has anyone had pleurisy before, and maybe got any tips on how to make it not flare up?
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I get something that sounds like that on occasion when I get a cold. No idea how to prevent it or anything, I just live with it and try to breath normally. I've never talked to a Dr. about it so I don't know if it's the same thing, but I never found it overly irritating, just mildly annoying when I forget (or yawn or something that hits it...)
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

yeah , i've dealt with it before ... hurts like hell .

all i know is that the pain you feel is caused by a fluid build up in the lining of the lungs .
    i don't know what causes it , but i also thought it had something to do with pneumonia ...

hope you feel better soon ...
  4. Don't sneeze Simpy :crying: I kid you not. After one sneeze the mere thought of one coming on will bring tears to your eyes. It is one of the most painful conditions I have ever had. Well, there was that divorce... Naw, actually that hurt a lot less. :p I don't think it is something you can prevent, just have to treat it. Hang in there.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've heard the chest pains from it are sometimes mistaken as a heart attack. Over the years I've worked with a couple of guys who had it. One guy said the pain was terrible, and it lingered on for months. The other guy thought he was having a heart attack and rushed to the ER.

Get well soon.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    With any chest pain, it's a good idea to get checked. With pleuritic cp, this first thing I check is crescendo pain with deep breath and hold. Chest xrays are not really helpful unless there are comorbidities like pneumonia or a pleural effusion. Most times it resolves on its own, once in awhile I will need to do a thoracentesis to drain some of the collected fluid in the pleural sac, not very often though.
  7. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've had something like that going on for awhile. Not sure if it's the same thing you have, I've never seen a Doc for it, and it doesn't really bother me that much. It's more irritating than anything else, like a shortness of breath every once in a while and only for a few breaths. I've found that laying down helps, but that's about it as far as what I do to treat it.
    Of course, smoking doesn't help at all. :meh:

Good luck hope it gets better

8. Yeah, I've had that at various times before. Usually only lasted an evening, and when I woke up the next day it was gone.
  9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    well... if its on left side i would ask them to check your liver... if your liver is inlarged that might happen (althought only on deep breaths (going in))...

Also could be bruised chest/bruised ribs i had bruised ribs before... that thing did not go away for 3 years... once in few it would come back and hurt me... so if you had any injury to your chest even years ago that might be it:/

But what do i know... i am a moron
  10. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yeah I had a cracked rib once when I was younger - my parents didn't believe me, it just hurt for about 6 months then slowly went away.

I have had it before on occasion, but this time it is 4-5 times a day for anywhere between 15 mins and 3 hours. It seems to be decreasing in frequency now, though still painful as hell. Hopefully it'll be gone soon, I'm just gonna wait it out!
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well IMO if you have insurance i say make them work for their money:) I would figure out whats wrong, because if somethings is and you dont take care of now it might come back to hunt you 10 years later but much worse then it is now...

I hope its nothing bad but you know... Whats the worse that can happen if you acctually go to your dr and ask a few question about this...

Good luck...
  12. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Oh and I forgot to say thanks everyone for being so supportive, I wasn't expecting everyone to be so nice!

At the moment I'm just on sustained release voltaren, seems to prevent any pain at all, which is great.