1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Plexi bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ClaytonH, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I would want to build a plexi glass bass. How thick should the plexi be?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Did you ever build you Whamola?

3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Summer project. Spring is planin' time!

4. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Ain't gonna be cheap. In all reality, if I wanted one I'd buy a premade one and just put in some better pup's and better strings. I've seen them all over ebay for less than $300 and they're about the same as what you will spend on just the acrylic for your body.

1.5 inch thick plexi (24x24) -
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8560k913/=1axdzz

2 inch thick plexi (24x24) -
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8560k915/=1axela

**EDIT**
    Are you talking about a an upright made of plexi? Thought you meant a standard electric. If you are, dunno what thicknesses to go with.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'd recommend going as thin as you can get away with. Just enough to clearance the pickups and pots. If you could get it to 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" that would probably help, I don't know if you've ever played a plexi guitar/bass before but in my own experience, they are very heavy. Like 15lbs or so for a jazz sized bass...

6. +1

I played Dan Armstrongs in the early 70s and those suckers are heavy... 15 lbs is not that far off.

Buy the acrylic models off ebay and mod it.

7. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Yea, mylocal music shop had a 2" thick B.C. Rich (i'd have to say Warlock) and man was it heavy!