Plexiglass Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul A, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    A friend of mine, who used to make paperweights etc as a sideline has given me 2 gallons of water clear acrylic casting resin.
    Now..... if I get an old p bass body, make a mould from it ......
    What do you think? would it work?
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I dont know about that stuff, but I saw a Robert Plant special on MTV and his bass player had a plexi P-Bass, looked very cool.Try e-mailing a freind of mine he owns a plexi company, his name is dave at :
    he may know, he makes these plexi cases. [​IMG]
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm no expert but I figure if you could make a mold for the body you should be able to do it. Sounds like your friend is an expert though.
    I think it would be pretty cool, especially if you could inject some dye into it some how so it has a transparent color.

Also search the web, there's probably some kind of forum out there for this type of stuff.

If you decide to do it, keep us updated.
  4. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    The Ampeg Dan Armstrong model was acrylic-bodied.

If you want to try one, you may want to consider:
    acrylic weight thread

Don't know whether Steve went through with it. You may want to ask him.

There's at least one company that regularly makes acrylic guitars.
  6. i remember going into a pawn shop in reno about fifteen years ago and seeing three or four plexi instruments... they're out there... someone needed to pay off his bad bets.
  7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My brother (guitarist/bandmate) owns a "Plexicaster", a non-Fender plexi Strat. It's painfully heavy... I have never seen him gig with it.
  9. I have seen robert plant live twice and both times Charlie jones has used his "plexi" P bass only once or twice.

To be honest i was not impressed but it did look cool.

Give it a go..
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bc rich used to make some acrylic guitars, if i remember correctly
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I know kramer still makes some acrillyc guitars - I remember a red and a blue one - but even though they had just a small V-shape body, they were about 12 pounds, so a full P-bass would require a crane to lift it! If I were you, i would try a smaller body. dont worry, its really dense, so even a smaller body would sound good - or at least i think so. like with the Steinbergers
  12. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    Goldfrapp's bassist Will Gregory has a clear p-bass. looks very nice.

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I obtained an old No - Name P body for a few quid.
    A mould is being made at this very moment!
  14. Is that a plexi P-Bass with a graphite neck? How cool is that?
  15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    From Warmoth, a swamp ash P body (body alone)weighs about 5 pounds. This means that an acrylic one of the same form would weigh about 10.4 pounds. P basses tend to weigh 9 - 9.5 pounds, so you're talking about an assembled weight of 14.5 - 15 pounds!! Hope you have a strong back!

Last chance to thin that thing down...
  16. My Grabber is in the regine of around 30 lbs??

I did an inaccurate measure of the weight, which came out as 5 stone... 14 lbs per stone = 70 lbs !
  17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    I think your measurement is off. This would mean that 2 Grabbers would weigh as much as a small adult male (or large adult female)! Not too likely.

Warwicks are widely known to be very heavy, and the heaviest model on their specs page is the Thumb 6, at 11.9 pounds.
  18. texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Whatever happened to this project?
  19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Congratulations, Dr. Frankenstein, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!