1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plexiglass Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ginospice, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ginospice

ginospice

Dec 29, 2007
    I appologize if this is being covered somewhere, ut I did not see anything.

I am constructing a Body out of Lucite and I will e making a 3 layer, back mid top laminant of sorts. I am unsure as to the right process for maintaning a clear appearance through the glue. I may use a colored top and back, but still clear. Has anyone done this?

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  3. ginospice

ginospice

Dec 29, 2007
    Yes, I saw that model, love the look and the pickups. No idea how it sounds. I was curious what kind of pickup those are. The Moses site didn't have a ton of info on that bass.

The one I'm building is going to be a 5 string Music Man meets Wal Bass Frankenbass - thing.

I've done some prototyping as well as sign facing with lexan and many other plastics, but it can be messy-not to mention toxic.

4. Those're Q-Tuner pickups in that picture. BL-4's I think?

EDIT: Yup, BL-4's. It's right in the title, d'oh!

5. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    I've heard that using JB Weld will give you clear adhesion between two pieces of plexiglas, but I've never tried it myself (I've always wanted to make a plexiglas bass, myself).

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Why not just use 1 solid piece if you choose not to use colored? Would be much easier.

1.5 inch thick plexi (24x24) -
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8560k913/=1axdzz

2 inch thick plexi (24x24) -
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8560k915/=1axela

If you want colored, go with 1.5 or 2 inch depending on if you want front and back colored and put a thin colored layer on.
    Go about half way down for colored -
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#cast-acrylic-sheets/=1axkqn

I haven't been able to find 1.5 or 2 inch thick colored unfortunately. I think what i would do is go with 1.5 inch thick and put a sheet of .236 colored on the front, leaving the back clear. If it has to be thicker, 2 inch thick with .1 thick colored sheet.

7. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm just thinkin' out loud here, but It would be cool if you used 2 different primary translucent plexi colors (one on each side) so that from the side you see the 2 different colors, but when you look through it from the front or back you see the secondary color the two halves make like a purple bass made of a red top and blue back

8. ginospice

ginospice

Dec 29, 2007
    Well, so far I have aquired the center piece of which will begin my Music Man shape. For the back I have found A unique .25 layer with a nice star chart pattern that has been screenprinted. I will be epoxy coating that to the inner side of the bottom leaving an area open for the electronics much like a typical laminant where the control cavity is part of the origional wood layer. Instead of matching grain, it'l be matching print. I am installing a Moses 5 string neck. Should be real space age looking. It's probably going to be super heavy though.

9. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    yes, im betting it will be heavy. my friend has an acrylic samick G*$tar that weighs a TON

10. Maybe you could chamber it?