Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paul A, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    O.K. I have this spare neck, pickups,bridge etc etc.
    I was just wondering.....anyone know where I can get a large piece of Plexiglass,Perspex,Polycarbonate,whatever (preferably in the U.K.) big enough to cut into a P Bass shape body?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Plexiglas - you wanna break your back?!? :eek:
  3. In my neighbourhood, there's a shop that sells plastics and resins. They carry all types and sizes of plexiglass, and do custom cutting jobs too. But this is Vancouver. I would imagine that if you thumbed through your phone directory (under plastics) you might find a source.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Paul, I agree with JMX A Plexiglas bass is a heck of a heavy instrument. Maybe you should try one of those Dam Armstrong Ampegs before you shell out the cash for that clear piece of plastic.

Here's an idea: get a regular wooden body and have it chrome plated. Now that would be interesting!

WIll C.:cool:
  5. A Plexiglass P body would certainly look cool but to get it thick enough not to cup it's gonna be HEAVY. The plexiglass bodied bass that I have has a relatively small body but it still weighs more than any of my other basses, even the T-40.
  6. UK's Nightingale Guitars built a plexiglass Precision style bass for Charlie Jones of the Page & Plant band- he was using it as his main bass as he was so impressed by the sustain (probably due to the weight of it).
    it might be worth checking with them for their source of the plexiglass.
  7. there's an acrylic/plexiglass/whatever see thru green warlock guitar at my local GC. it looks cool enough, but it is the heaviest freaking guitar i've ever picked up. i advise against it....
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Charlie Jones' plexi P-Bass is pretty cool looking allright. I've owned a few of the late 70's Renaissance lucite basses with very early versions of the Haz-Lab onboard preamps in them. Way cool basses but they tip the scales at around 15 pounds!!
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Check this out -

I don't know if they would be an option for someone in the UK, but at least some of their stuff is fun to look at :) .
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The weight problem....
    Carve the back out. This will save weight AND add an interesting optical effect :)
  11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Thanks guys,
    I'm not concerned about the weight,I'm not gonna use this monster as my main bass!
    Good news is I've managed to locate a big enough chunk of plexi.
    Will post some pics as soon as its finished!
  12. check this out- Crimson guitars (wonder if there's any connection to Nightingale) have done an all- perspex P bass for Charlie Jones-
    body, neck, pickup casings, bridge, machinehead buttons.....

I've been looking at the cheap Ebay acrylic/plexi/perspex whatever basses under the Wesley,Galveston, Grand etc. names.

makes a nice stage prop.
    wonder how a see-thru P bass or Strat would look with with a glowguard - guards.htm