Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Plexiglass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, May 20, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, after going to a gig last night and seeing a H&K guitar amp with the plexiglass (Or whatever it is) front on it and having a think. I want to try it when I get my Sunn 300T. First though, with the H&K, we were in a room with UV lights in the roof, so everything white was glowing, which included the H&K logo and all other lettering on the amp. What i'm wondering, does the H&K do this anyway, in a room without UV lights? Does anyone know? And if it does, how? Does it have small UV's inside it?

I want to try taking the metal grill on the front of the Sunn off and putting something like the plexiglass in it's place. Then either etching our band name into the glass, or getting it writing on in white.
    If I etched it in, what sort of lights should I use on the inside? LED's? LED's don't produce heat do they?
    If I get some white lettering on it, would it work to put a small UV or something inside the amp along the bottom (Kind of like the old trace elliot's i suppose, although they wern't UV's)?

Anyway, what do you guys think? I want to keep it so it's reversable incase I want to sell it one day. I wouldn't mind having to use a seperate power source etc for it.
    So yeah, how could I do it? (it can obviously be done..)

That H&K just looked to cool with all the tubes glowing inside and the logo and eq etc lettering glowing on the front...

Cheers!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wouldn't do that without putting an extra fan in or some ventillation.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, I was thinking of drilling a few holes in the plexi. And if I needed, I could just clip a fan on the back. It's in a road case lined with foam and stuff, but I can take it out, so I think having a little clip on fan would be the best bet..

[​IMG]

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Did you recieve the 300 yet? If so give your opinion on it :)
    I think you could etch in some awesome ****, but I think you have to have a UV reactive layer in there to make it glow. And you need a UV or cold cathode or something. A great site for lights and effects is www.xoxide.com.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My guitarist uses an Engl Powerball with blue glowy lights on the interior. I have to admit it looks damned cool and makes me wish I had a glowy amp too.

6. "real amps glow in the dark."

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The HK logo does glow without external UV lighting. If you were to take it apart (as mine is right now for a thorough cleaning) you would see how that trick works. The face is not just etched, but that logo also seems inlaid with some white substance that reacts to the light generated by the amp's internal lights. These look like very thin, mini UV lights, which are clipped to that clear faceplate and wired into the amp itself. Made it a pain to get apart, and hopefully I can get it back together.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Here is a suggestion. Acrylic (a.k.a. Plexiglas or Lucite) is brittle and cracks easily. Polycarbonate (a.k.a. Lexan) is much tougher and easier to work using home shop tools.

With either material, one method of etching is to apply a stencil, and then sand-blast the material. You could get a "positive" or "negative" effect in this way.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    fdeck - Suggestion taken on board!

So would my best bet would be to etch something in? Or use some sort of material that will glow with the Poly and put it straight on? Theres 'UV paint' on that xoxide site, so would something like that work? That could be kind of cool, as it's invisible in normal light..

Also, if I use mini UV lights, how should I make them work? Anyone got any idea's?

Plain Old Me - Not yet. :( It'l be another 4-6 weeks most likely. I've organised it with the guy though. I was considering getting it sooner and getting my parents to help out/birthday sort of stuff. But I decided to get a new engine for my ute for that.. Mostly because my parents usually help out with gear anyway ;) Might as well make the most of my last year and a bit at home :p

10. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One idea is to check out a company called Roithner Lasertechnik in Germany. They sell UV LED's. I don't remember the prices, but I have one of these LED's and it makes all the white stuff in my bedroom glow in the dark.

11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Beware drilling holes in Plexi, as it will crack really easily. My best experience in my home shop is with something called a Unibit, which you can get at Home Depot -- a drill bit for sheet metal with a whole bunch of steps for different hole sizes. The best coolant is plain water.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    fdeck - Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'l check them out now. Would I be able to run the UV's on the power from the amp, or would I need an external power source?

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You can wire them into the amp, but I wouldn't do it unless you have significant experience working with electronics, and in your case specifically tubes.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Could I get a tech to do it at all? I know a couple sparkies, but I doubt they've had any experience with tube amps..

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Find a tech that has worked on tube amps and have him do it. You can probabally have him wire it so that the lights get brighter when you play harder and that would be crazy awesome. :bassist: