1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Plight of the Aging Pop Artist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I know I am getting a little ahead of myself, but getting rejected for that audition this week is getting to me.

I played bass flawlessly. I have stage presence based on playing and being a student of Pop/Rock music & culture for 40 years. Extensively performed on the Springfield, Missouri bar and club circuit, I thought it was a good match, they didn't.

Here is my question, the plight of the aging pop rocker trying to get back in is going to really difficult.

2. That is a statement, but yes I can see where that would be difficult.

My Father in law is bass player in a cover band, playing with Banner Thomas formerly of Molly Hatchet. They play pop songs that come all the way current to Pink (with their own female lead singer). Regardless of talent, and execution, I know that is not music they listen to, so I find it hard to watch them play songs they wouldn't normally want to play.

3. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    The reality of the situation is basically this,... you have two genre's left available to you that your age won't be as big of a hindrance. Jazz, if you have the skills to play it, and country,....although country will still have a more youth oriented outlook as well, just not so much as the pop scene. Thats been my experience at least,....the retirement home of aging pop/rock players falls into one of those categorys,..that, or classic rock cover bands playing the lesser paying bars.

On the bright side,..have you considered online collaboration/writing/recording? No one seems to care about your wrinkles there! :D Personally, I'm enjoying music more now than i did during my glory days of youth and endless club dates. Just my two cents,....and that's probably about all it's worth too. ;)

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I'm sort-of "aging" (youthful 40-something) who does listen to Pink, Wheezer, Daughtry, whatever is pop. I prefer older 60s 70s 80s rock, which is what we play, but I like just about all mainstream music. It depends on your audience. nightcityburn is right, younger people won't want to watch us play their songs, but people closer to your age will accept you playing songs they want to hear.

As voodoobassist said, probably have to settle for classic rock or country. Don't you already know and like classic pop music? Why not find a group of your peers?

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Dumb suggestion..

I know this will sound shallow.

Have a young lady critique your look and dress you.

I know I know.. it does work.

I commonly get mistaken for being 25.. jokes on them... I play tons better than when I was a kid.. they do appreciate the generational collaberation after the age thing is over with.

Tim

6. get used to it dude........its not just music where this stuff happens......i got squeezed out of things for that too.....as we age we are just not as appealing to be around for younger guys,regardless of our skills.......western cultures,and i use that word with tongue in cheek,simply do not have much regard for older folks.......but if you nailed the playing part to heck with em...their loss

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Young kids don't want to play with older folks. No surprise there. I don't want to play with young kids so we're even ;)

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    GET OFF MY LAWN, ALL OF YOU!!!!! (just kidding!!)

I am well on the north side of 40, as is everyone in my band. We work a lot more than most bands, and now get better quality gigs than we did when we were younger. I don't know, we put out a lot of energy, dress and look the part, and have managed to appeal to a wide variety of age groups.

The generational thing happens. While we would look ridiculous doing MCR and Fall Out Boy material, we throw in Rob Thomas stuff and John Mayer stuff and it goes over like crazy. Just understand your audience, and give them what they want. No matter how old you are, people want to be entertained. They want to come out for a good time and forget about what's been pissing them off all day. You are doing it right if people look at the stage and wish that they were you!

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

Thanks,

I see where your coming from and it makes sense.However, I am not quite ready to acept reality. I got back into this to be onstage and to play the music I am inspired by.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    You guys are cool, and I am listening.

Unfortunately you guys are in reality, which I am not quite ready to acept. However ,Contemporary Country Pop is probably fine, but age again like you said will be a challenge on that front as well.

blue

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I JUST started in the Jazz gigging and chruch session worlds..

I GREATLY appreciate the better musicians that being tenured produces... less PR.. better prepared.

Tim

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Hi Tim,

I know where your coming from. I'm 165lbs and 5'11" and have always been aware of "the look". I can get away with stuff that mant 56 year old guys can't. I always make sure the dye in my hair is right, no grey roots.

I know my age and I'm sure I probably think I look younger than others.

blue

13. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, your right, it's such a bitter pill to swallow.

And while I am only looking for a Pop Band with steady half assed bar gigs, Lets not forget that as far I can remember, I think the top Rock Front Man is aproaching 67 years of age.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I think you make several accurate and key points, it's morrors my philosphy. However, I am not sure, even with my confidence, I want to sing lead on "Stacy's Mom"

blue

15. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    Its funny that you say this , I was actually just talking to my boss the other day about it. The band I play in does alot of funky music, mostly originals but now and then we throw in some p-funk , hendrix, james brown covers and so on. Everyone in the band is atleast over 40 besides me and the keyboard player who is 25, and Im 18. I actually prefer to play with older folks as they are usually are more dedicated and disciplined atleast in my own experience. Plus they usually have jobs making the studio fees alot easier on all of us. As long as we can all play the music, theres no need to discriminate. :bassist:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're right. I shouldn't discriminate and I usually don't. But I remember how I made my personality disorders everyone else's problem when I was a kid playing with older folks, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy ;)

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I kind of thought, because of my age I can finally do this right.

I have no ego,I'm single, have the $$ to buy any kind of gear I want and I am always going to show up.

I'm to old for booze, drugs or drama. However, I won't decline on a little "trim" here and there.:)

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sounds like a nice gig, but me, I still want to listen to and play Pop.

I understand that what I want is not going to get one of these bands to give me a chance, and I am not sure how much begging I'm up for.

You know, my son's 20 & 21 warned me this was going to happen

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, I really feel like crap in a way, When I was a young guy, I use to make fun of people my age.

Tony Montana;

"Look at you now":)

20. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Dude, if you have decent looks and stage presence (sorry but that's part of the criteria especially for pop gigs) and you're good, and you like the music and can lay down groove, I say go for it! Just because you lost out on one audition doesn't spell out your whole future. Keep looking, bassists are in demand everywhere, and you will probably find the right mix in time. Just might take you longer than some.

For instance, I recently saw a very enticingly-worded ad posted by a hot-looking young female bassist, who lead-sings, and I thought "man she is going to seriously exceed her inbox limit!" She can probably land a gig in 15 minutes, us it will definitely take longer. But, there are plenty of bands and plenty of opportunity. Keep trying!!! :hyper: :bassist: