Plotline idea's for a zombie film (low low budget).

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 14, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, myself and some freinds are going to attempt to film a low budget zombie 15-25 minute film a week tomorow. We've had the date planned for a few months now, and have researched effects (gunshots, make up etc), got a small cast, found locations, basically got most of it together other than a plot...

Why you ask? Well thats becasue we didnt assign anyone to write it, instead we all grasped at fancy sounding name for the credits (I'm Director and Stunt coordinator :cool: )

We have basic markers for the film such as the scene where the actors relise dead are coming back to life but nothing solid.

Any ideas of happeneins, scene even dialigue for it and I'd be chuffed.

Once its done and edited, well make a 3 min trailer for you guys to see!
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    So, another "Night of the Living Dead" spoof, I see?

Well, sounds like fun. Me and my friends were gonna do a mortal kombat type thing... but we got bored.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    me and my friends were gonna do another "the 6th sense"...but none of us could see dead people...

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why not have it that as the zombies eat brains, they get more intelligent, learning everything that the brainee knew? you could go lots of places with that one.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I imagine if they ate JT's brain they'd begin to invent words like "brainee" as well ;)
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could have Zombies who eat feet and legs! At the end of the movie you could show the survivors hobbling around on crutches and in wheelchairs. People could be walking around at night and get really scared when they smell feet, the warning of imminent zombie attack!
  7. I think you should definitely have a zombie love interest. Do a Romeo and Juliet sort of thing, except instead of Capulet and Montague, its zombie and human. Juliet can be the zombie and Romeo can be the human. Their parents wont get along at all as Juliet's parents always want to eat Romeo's parents and they think that Juliet should too. However, Juliet is more a fan of playful nibbling which is what Romeo loves so much about her.

In the end Juliet will poison herself and Romeo will find her apparently dead and kill himself. However, Juliet is a zombie so she gets up shortly and sees Romeo dead. She is heartbroken so she stabs herself, then gets up, then stabs herself, then gets up, then stabs herself then gets up...fade out....
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    ahahaha metallicarules.. you rule man!
    this is great..

Make it fun..

Transvestite zombies! or sumfin
  9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Winner. :)
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the thread title is an oxymoron, personally.

I would have to say that a 3 min trailer is really out of control. Remember, that in low budget films, less is more. The trend for movies and television right now is an intense series of rapid images, extreme close-ups, and short attention spans. A 3 minute film, let alone trailer, is quite a daunting task. You'd be amazed at how much you can fit into 3 minutes. My advice is to leave the audience wanting more. If, once you're done filming, and doing a rough edit, you wind up with a 45 minute film, I say chop that down to less than 20 minutes, tops. It's almost impossible to give as much time as a 45 minute film, (just the post-production part, let alone everything else), requires. Simply editing a 2 minute scene could easily take 6 hours. Then you've got scoring, foley, graphics, etc. Pray you don't need to reshoot anything.

My advice, after making about a half dozen films of substantial length, is to keep the movie short, yet visually interesting. Zombie films don't require much dialogue, as it were, so your pacing will be different from an "independant film" or dialogue based film.
  11. I downloaded a demo movie from Kazaa by Sam Raimi. He directed the evil dead series. The movie is the demo that he used to shop for money! It's kinda weird to watch because Ash is the bad guy in the movie! Good watch for any budding film student.

BTW, what's with zombies and movies? I agreed to help produce my friend's film project and he wants zombies. SFX cost money people!!!
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    OK. Here's what you've got to do. Everyone has always done zombie movies/books about humans, well except for Stephen King with Pet Cemetary, but I digress.

So here's the plot. All of the used up dental floss from around the world has come back to life due to the bits of flesh and goo that has been built up in them over the years metabolizing at an alarming rate. These rouge zombie dental floss monsters have aligned themselves with the forces of evil in a plot to cut the gums of their previous owners and drink their blood until all that's left is a shrivled corpse.

Think of the cameo potential if this was sold to the right markets. Abe Vigoda as Fred, the grocery clerk / sherpa, Ernest Borgnine as Jimmy, the shoe shine boy. You could have Ernest Borgnine saying things like "shine your shoes gov'ner.." Oh man this is getting really cool.

I'm kind-of picturing something along the lines of Night of the Living Dead meets Harry and the Hendersons, except without John Lithgow.
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That sure is disgusting Farley.
  14. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hahha! Some ..interesting idea's on there!

I have actually done some editing and made short (5 inute) film intro and music video for media work, both turned out pretty naff but got an OK grade.

3 minutes is long for a trailer, I dont know why I stated that.. check out the trailer to zombies of the forest or something over at, we were aiming for a tariler similar to that length.

Thanks again, keep 'em rolling in!
  15. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I like that "Romeo and Juliet" idea. :)

I think the cliched zombies eating ppl has been done to death without ppl asking the question 'why?' Why do zombies eat ppl? LOL. There is an "X-Files" episode that made me think about that. Mulder (I think) said that something along the lines of us thinking the dead only come back to eat ppl, but we don't stick around long enough for everything else (obviously). They come back and eat, but after that they dance and make love. We just don't have a chance to see those 2 other things. :D ....That's something to think about...

Yoshi, if you're looking for some inspiration, I'd definately check out some Italian horror movies, like Lucio Fulci's zombie movies. Very atmospheric.

Good luck with the project! :)

I was almost in this low-budget zombie movie. A friend of a friend used to make these small films like that and was thinking of making another and asked if I wanted to be in it. It involved nudity though :eek: so I was a little unsure hehe. He never ended up making it though.
  16. Give 'em metal guitars and have Quiet Riot on the soundtrack.

Everything else is just details.
  17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    How about zombies who eat terrible 80's hair metal bands? For once, the zombies could be the good guys!
  18. Yeah, I probably did poorly on all my exams after wasting my genious on the zombie plotline ;).
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have the zombies, sitting in a parlor with smoking jackets and a pipe, speaking in clipped British accents. Great visual: rotting, reeking zombies having a puff, reading War and Peace, with a human head/brain sitting next to them on an end table. "Do pass the brain, dear, I'm having some trouble with this crossword."

Great ending shot.
  20. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Even better, what if the terrible 80's hair-metal bands are the zombies. The soundtrack could be a selection of incredibly cheesy power ballads. The zombies go after former hair metal fans who have cut their hair and moved on in life, denying their hair metal past.