Pls enlighten me about Active Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've always been of the old school, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I need to understand an Active Jazz.

1. The noiseless pickups are simply double coil or "humbucker" pickups that look like single coils?

2. The active electronics - it has a master volume pot, a pan pot, and a 3 band EQ. There are only 4 knobs, so is one of them a "push/pull" knob?

3. If you have all 3 bands of EQ set flat, is this the same as having a traditional "tone" control turned all the way up?

4. With a traditional tone control, are you increasing/decreasing the entire frequency spectrum, and are you actually boosting/cutting it? I don't get this.

5. If you take the battery out, or it dies, what are you left with?

6. This ties into the previous questions, but if you want it to sound like a non-active Jazz, how do you do this?

2. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

3. 1. I have no idea. I just know they look like jazz pickups and have no hum when you use one or the other.

2. The first knob is a master volume, the second is the pickup pan, the third is a stacked knob with bass on the bottom and treble on top, and the fourth knob is for the mids.

3. Some people say this is the best option if you want to go for a passive jazz sound.

4. I thought it was a treble cut, bass boost sort of thing.

5. Nothing. It won't make a sound

6. Set the EQ flat. That's about all you can do.
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    From my experince of active basses(yamaha rbx374) if you take the battery out, it just sounds quieter and you have less control over it. but it might be differant with pickups and differant pre-amps.

but im guessing that fender would have had the initive to make it so it can sound like a passive jazz.
  5. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, I received this Active Jazz today. It's hidden under my bed right now, but I had about 15 minutes to check it out, and I just set everything flat and the pan to both pickups. This thing sounds excellent. My only complaint so far is that the frets feel just slightly "sharp" on my fingers, if anybody knows what I mean. I had already made arrangements to return it before I even received it, and informed them that I wanted the '57 MIA RI Precision instead. Then on another post, a person informed me that Fender wasn't kidding around - this really is a '57 reissue, and not just a Precision with a finger rest on it. Now I have a dilemma. I have an SX '57 RI and I don't like it, but I thought it was because it was a cheap SX, and maybe it is, but if it isn't, I'm not gonna like the real thing either - too heavy, the neck feels like a 2x4, and the nitrocellulose and lacquer on the fretboard...I don't think that's for me. GAS can give you gas.

6. Skel,
    I'm gonna give you my "Dos Centavo's" on my Deluxe Active V.
    I've checked, and you can do a active/passive thing with the Bass, but if I remember, you'll need a volume pot that'll allow you to pull up.

Now, I've owned 2 of these basses, one an older model from 2002 which was a Poplar bodied bass. I traded it it in for a 2005 Alder bodied, noiseless pick-up model, nite and day difference sound-wise, and my newer models action is Low and fast! I knew it was the one when I played it unplugged and could hear the vibrancy, must have been the Alder body. It does sound very good to my ear. I prefer the taper wound "B" and "E", which allows me to keep the action low without buzzing. Yes, with a J-retro Pre-amp, and with the way the feel and action are, this Bass would be outta-sight for a non-American Bass, but as it stands, it's very functional. My advise is if you can try a few, great. My first Active's action was too high for me, but I really lucked out on this one. It's a keeper!

Bobbo 77'
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Active jazz is when you jump around while playing Miles Davis.