1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pls explain a sans amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pcollin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Maybe this is a dumb question but I'm just not clear on what a sans amp is or does. I've read ads in mags about them and see them referred to here at TB. I was given a digitech B200 at Christmas and it has amp modeling/effects -- is that the same kind of thing? It's fun to play around with at home but I doubt I'd ever use it at a gig. Can someone pls fill me in? Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The search returns 380 Sansamp related threads in the effect section.
    I'm sure the info you need is here already.

3. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    ... of course, 380 answers is just as useless as no answers [so the search function is highly overrated!] so I'll try and answer your question:

Sans means "without" and a Sansamp is meant to get the tone of a great amp played nice and loud, even if you don't own a great classic amp or have room to set it up.

Yes, it's the same as "amp modelling".

Sansamps were one of the first lines of amp modelling products and they're still well regarded.

Some amp modelling can be handy at a gig if it helps you get a tone you want. I'd avoid the extreme settings and just use what you think gets you the right balance of power and clarity. Good luck!

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The SansAmp is quite simply a very useful tool.

In essence it is a DI and a tube emulation pedal.

Almost without fail, TB effects regulars will tell anyone who asks that pedals can't upgrade their sound, only add spice/color etc and that's almost always true. The SansAmp is one of the few pedals that can make crappy or mediocre gear sound really good. That is, if you like the tone coloration it provides. The SansAmp has a well noted mid scoop but it is great for dialing in a slap tone or getting an SVT sound out of your gear.

It also serves as a fantastic DI for FOH live work or recording, can work as a rudimentary EQ (I use to crank the bass and turn down the presence for an "old school" tone in my covers band) and it has made nearly every fuzz or distortion I've run before it sound more focused.

The downside to the SansAmp (besides the mid scoop) is that it isn't a great overdrive (people who buy it for that reason are often disappointed), it really compresses your tone (could be a positive depending on your viewpoint) but most importantly, it really colors your tone. If you have solid gear and really like your clean tone, you may well dislike it for this reason.

I haven't used mine live in months though I still play with it from time to time and used it in a recording in July when we were double tracking the bass and I wanted a bit of grit to blend in. But I haven't sold it yet just because I know how useful it can be.

5. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    SansAmps are really popular little DI Boxes / Preamps.

A DI (Direct Injection) Box allows you to plug your bass directly into a mixing board with no amplifier. This means you can play though PA systems in a Bar / Hall / Club etc, without the need to lug big gear around.

The popularity of SansAmp products is due to their high suitability to rock music. They are capable of producing gritty, overdriven tones or very deep, dub-by tones. Plus, they are only $150 and built quite well.

I myself don't really like their tone very much, but for most people they're just the ticket.

Hope that helps.

6. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    its a pedal that can be used as a DI box (send your bass to the PA) as well as a stompbox for tubey sounds (thick bass boost oldschool sounds, SVT emulation, tube overdrive/distortion)

it was mentioned above that you might not like it for distortion if your into your clean sound..i disagree..its a great oldschool overdriven sound..it just completely changes your sound, with a lot of its own color. but its a nice color.

7. :confused:
    BDDI and PBDDI are priced at ~$200. no?`

8. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Check this out! It'll answer your question! :hyper:

Main Entry: sans
    1: without
    Pronunciation: \ˈsanz\
    Function: preposition
    Etymology: Middle English saun, sans, from Anglo-French san, sanz, modification of Latin sine without

Main Entry: amp
    1: ampere
    2: amplifier; also : a unit consisting of an electronic amplifier and a loudspeaker
    Pronunciation:\ˈamp\
    Function: noun

And varunkapahi, those units generally sell for ~$150 used.

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Not quite. Modelling is digital; SansAmp technology is analogue tube emulation. End result is much the same of course ;)

c-

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It's just a pre-amp/DI, so it alters the sound and balances it out.