Pls help! 2 5's to choose from

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Mar 30, 2004.

Which bass?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2004.
  1. Peavey Fury 5 red

4 vote(s)
  2. Peavey Fury 5 Sunburst

1 vote(s)
  3. G&L L-2500

21 vote(s)
  4. Other, specify pls

3 vote(s)
  1. Heya! Hows it goin everyone. I got my income tax refund a few days ago, so its new bass time this weekend! woo! I would like to play b4 i pay, so I looked around here, and basses in my price range of around a grand canadian were, Peavey Fury 5 quilt top series, G&L l-2500 tribute, mm sub 5 string, godin and washburn. I think I have narrowed it down to the Fury 5, and the G&L. Which do you suggest? The Peavey has a killer quilt, and active electronics. Oh, and keep in mind the fury is i think 200 bucks cheaper, and a little extra cash is always good :)

these are pics of the exact ones:
    Fury 5, in red and sunburst (they have both)

and the G&L is a bluburst, you can see the grain a little better than the one on the site with the blueburst, but you can get the gist of it if you look at tributes and click on blueburst.
  2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX

I want you to buy ME the sunburst MTD Heir 5 fretless on Access Bass. ;) I no sooner decided that it was the bass I am saving up for than my wife and sons cars both broke down. So in stead of saving for a bass from Adrian I am having to pay more than that right away. Grrrrrr :spit:

Some times when people say "It must suck to be you. They are really talking about me."
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Man, get the G&L 2500 or get the Tribute if you want to save some dough. As I've mentioned on a few other threads, I will pick up a Tribute, SUB, or KSD in few months. That G&L/Tribute is sweet with killer tone and versatility.
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    IMO, you should go for the Peavy given the choices. Otherwise I would get a Yamaha 5 of some kind. Yamaha has excellent quality control last time I checked, and some of their B strings make some "expensive" basses sound like a Ripoff. The SUB I never have liked......
  5. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    I would go for the g&L myself! Just a better bass all around! I didnt like the yamahas i tried the other day! First thing i hated about them was the battery compartment! The batteries were dead in the music store :mad: as always! So i took one out of another bass. I opened the batt area on the yamaha and it just fell on the floor! What a hunk of crap! Wasnt crazy about the sound either. Not sure what yamaha it was but higher end at like 1500. I think you would be happy with the g&L cause you can get more sounds out of her!
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    yeah but he's talking about a G&L tribute. I tried a friend of mines tribute and one at corner music and I thought they were terrible. More specifcally a Yamaha BB5 (there are so many) would be better IMHO. But thats me :)

What kind of sound are you looking for?
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a G&L tribute 2500 and think it is an exceptional value. Versatile, great sound, nice B string. The only downside is it is a little heavy and the neck is a bit deeper than I prefer. But I still find it extremely playable and love it. almost has a P Bass Vibe but with more versatility.
  8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but if you're looking for a good bass that I've heard everyone raving about, then the Yamaha RBX775 is a good deal right now. A little different style, but it looks to be a good deal. If I hadn't spent a WAD of cash on my Warwick, I would have done it.

9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, choosing between a Fury & a Tribute... there's no question....
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Of those that you have listed, I have played an SUB and own a Fury. Speaking strictly between those two, I would buy the Fury.
  11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've played both. I own a Fury.
  12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, both great choices in this price category. I've played both, and to be honest, I really like both's playability and tone. My only complaints with the G&L are that it seemed a little "darker" for my taste, and yes, it was very heavy. If I recall correctly, my main complaint about the Fury was that it has an active preamp, but NOT "detented" EQ knobs, and that really bugged me. If it was me, I'd prolly get the Fury. Just felt/sounded better for my tastes.
  13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't know if this comes as good or bad news, but that Heir is on its way to me anyway. :)

Don't hit me, don't hit me, don't.... :D