Pls recommend - 5 string, 35" PASSIVE with MM-type punch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BuffaloBass, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I've run the search ( 500 posts!) and gleaned a few recommenations, but if someone could lend an assist here...

Looking for a PASSIVE 5 string, 35" scale, maple board. So far I see the J05's, but I'm not really into the Jazz sound at all ( I owned one, is the JO sound diff than say a 70-75 vintage J??)Played an MIM 5 jazz and really did not like the B string.

An amateur player so the bill has to stay below a grand cause there's no way to earn it back around here especially doing original music.

Also, slim-arse selection of basses around here. I bought my Skyline active 5 here from fretlessfiverfan - w/o ever playing a Skyline. Good thing I love it. But I see a passive bass in my future. Actives dont do it for me at all.

Something I could find used or Ebay is fine since I beleive in old wood!

Any names that jump out at you guys??

(may end up building my own - heck rebuilt a 30 yr old car should be able to do a bass ).
  2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Are you purposely describing an MTD kingston?

Ditch the MM pup in it and get one from Carey Norstrand.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my thoguht too
  4. Dang fellas, I wasnt even done editing! THNX ! No that name has NOT come up yet.....well I know they work out of Woddstock NY, but I thought all therir stuff was $$$$$$ +. I'll check out the foreign made stuff THNX again!
  5. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had an Heir, pretty much a Kingston with a jazz pup as well. It had an aguilar obp-1 and it rocked. All under 500.
  6. Hey Lamar, how would you describe the tone of the additional pickup?? It seems I might get a chance to try an Heir b4 a Kingston.

Best wings are at Duff's, Sheridan Drive Amherst ( Buffalo) NY, but you knew that I know!
  7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Not sure, I never really used the MM by itself, always with the other pickup. Sounded great
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Not sure what your budget is, but I would deffinantly talk to Pete Skjold about one of his stage series basses. If you do a search on Skjold here, I posted some sound clips somewhere of a passive one with his C4 pickup in it.
  9. soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    i have an Heir5 myself. awesome bass and it definitely gets my vote.

mine sounded great stock, but i upgraded the pickups partly because the single coil was a bit noisy (which is normal).
    now it's got a basslines stacked-single in the neck and bartolini MM in the bridge and an aguilar preamp.
    (no stock pickups fit these routings though - there are gaps that i'm gonna fill in someday or try to do wood covers or something)

i love this bass.
    although i still prefer passive basses in general, it's got a great active sound. Zingy yet still woody.

Also, amazing neck, never needs adjusting even through extremely humid summers.

oh yeah, another thing you should know: full 20mm string spacing. feels huge compared to fender 5s or Ibanez.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Kingston, is very good 5-er, for the money.
    Plays well, sounds good. nice neck, spacing.